Friday, November 25, 2016

November 25 – “Head on fire”

Ah, Thanksgiving Day.  It started like the last few have for us.  We got out of bed and immediately put together six bags of fried turkey.  Then, while Chris attacked  lunch preparations, I headed for the fire stations to make the turkey deliveries.  I started way out west at station 8.  They have reconfigured their common room, so it actually looked like they had more space than they actually do.  From there I went by station 7 in Pirates’ Beach.  Some of the guys were watching TV while others were embroiled in an obviously high-level discussion in the kitchen.  At station 2, the farthest East of the bunch, the whole crew was hard at work on their respective computers or cell phones, no doubt studying for upcoming advancement testing.  At station 1 I just touched base with a few of the guys and let them know the turkey was in the kitchen.  Station 5 was busy preparing their smoker to take care of nine or ten big turkey drumsticks.  A green bean casserole had just come out of the oven.  Finally station 4 was a hub of activity already.  Potatoes were being sliced, one turkey was being roasted in the oven, and they were just about to fry another one in one of those grease-less fryers.  Never seen one before.  I wonder if they are as good as what we do?  I headed home from there, and the fire chief passed me as I got to the corner.  Uh-oh.  Chief alert. 

Ah, Thanksgiving Day with no blood relatives in attendance.  That part was rather strange.  But we had several good friends over instead.  Jim and Charlette from church came (before they had to rush out to get to Houston to meet with their son who is a cheerleader with University of Oklahoma.  He was working with some cheerleaders in the Houston parade.  Oh, and Jim promised to go shopping on the way home.  He was especially excited about that), as did Bryan and Jennifer.  And the surprise of the day that we were all excited about … Betty Head joined us as well.  her kids were otherwise engaged for the day (as were ours), so she slid right in with her peach pie donation to the cause.  The food was great as always.  Did I mention that Chris is an amazing cook?  Add that to the fried turkey and you get a meal fit for a king, to be sure.  And for dessert, joining Betty’s peach pie, we had pumpkin and apple pies which carried the distinction of having been made (with a bit of Nana-assistance) by Jachin, Micah, Josiah, and Noa.  Tasty, to be sure.  My personal favorite was the apple, though.  Micah, you outdid yourself on that one.  Can I get you to come over and handle the “cinnamon/sugar drop on top” every time?  It was the first time I haven’t had to add more after I cut my slice. 

Things kind of devolved to a blur sometime after the Baylor basketball game ended and the Dallas Cowboys football began.  I know they both won, but I can’t exactly guarantee that I saw the winning actually take place.  Maybe it was the audio that was embedded in my brain.  Perhaps it was the fact that I read the accounts in the morning paper a few minutes ago.  I vaguely recall getting comfortable in my Archie Bunker chair.  The ding of the microwave reheating leftovers and the occasional ping of the texting tone on my phone kept me from exiting reality completely.  Oh, the texting?  Nathan and Josh were sharing affectionate, brotherly posts.  Josh sent a serene photo of his boys gathered around a blazing fire in a proper fire pit.  He added the text, “Don’t worry.  My pants are just fine.”  Obviously he was just expressing his heartfelt appreciation to his little brother for the life lesson he had learned from said little brother’s previous frightening brush with the deadly Tongues of Turkey-Frying Flame.  With his typical, laugh in the face of danger bravado, Nathan replied with a video of a little guy running in circles with his head on fire.  Now, see?  You were worried about where in the world I got that title for today’s post, weren’t you?  Thank you for your concern.  Keep praying for the fire fighters, and all the first responders and military who are away from their families on holidays.

Ephesians 4:1 says, “As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.”


Father, watch over the first responders and military who are working and on call every day to keep us safe and pull us from the aftermaths of our stupidity.  Amen.

No comments: