Saturday, November 5, 2016

November 5 – “Surreptitious Bonding”

Well, I suffered through just one more stomach attack yesterday morning and then I managed to sleep through until after one o’clock.  I woke up feeling much better, but still really washed out. 

We picked up Cailyn from school.  Mom and Dad are working in the midst of all the Island chaos that is Motorcycle Rally Weekend.  The emergency room has boosted their staffing for the weekend, and the fire department app on my phone has been blowing up ever since Thursday.  It’s not that the rally is a nightmarish time.  On the contrary, Island residents actually like it when the rally comes to town.  It’s just that when you increase the Island’s population by, oh, forty or fifty thousand, some things are bounds to happen.  Thus far we have managed to stay out of traffic’s way, and I haven’t heard as many loud noises streaking by late at night.  We are planning to go to Jachin and Micah’s baseball game tonight, though, so I guess we better steel ourselves for the journey into Texas.  Well, more so for the return onto the Island.

Cailyn and I practiced the songs for my ukulele recital coming up this week.  She and I played and sang all the uke songs that will be on the uke recital agenda.  She really liked Jambalaya, especially when I changed the name Yvonne to Cailyn.  She was also a fan of Stand By Me.  Wish I could get her out of school to accompany me at the recital.  It’s fun having her sit next to me and sing along.  Later she decided she wanted to do some homework.  No, really.  She brought it up.  She got it out of her backpack.  She brought it to me at the table.  We finished all of her math for the week, and she was really excited about some of the choices for her reading reviews.  Thing was, there was a sticker on the front of the homework pages that said she had earned a No Homework Pass for the week of 11-7 to 11-11.  That would be what we just worked on.  I’m not sure how that is supposed to work, but who am I to deny her request to do it anyway?  I’ll have to keep that one a secret.  Can’t beat it when DadDad bonding over a math assignment wins out over free homework pass. 

Last night we taught her how to play a card game we learned from Zak last time we were in Waco.  Something about Kings being in the corner.  It’s like a more controlled version of Nuts or a little more convoluted version of Solitaire.  We left out the parts that involved an ante requirement, losing a chip if you couldn’t play on your turn, and winning the chips if you went out first.  In other words … no chips.  Cailyn picked it up pretty quickly, with a little help.  Between us we were able to smoke Nana all three hands.  After that it was just FaceTime with Daddy, Family Worship and on to bed.  Ah, the tough life of a seven year old.

Galatians 6:9-10 says, “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”


Father, please keep the cyclists safe during their visit to the Island.  Amen.

No comments: