Tuesday, November 1, 2016

November 1 – “Old Santa”

Well, that’s another Halloween party in the books.  And I would say it went really well.  most important thing first … we gave away over 250 New Testaments.  And that number could have been higher, but it was all the bookstore had when we went in to buy them.  The kiddos were excited to receive “the little books,” and for the most part, when the parents realized what they were and got over their surprise, they were appreciative as well.  More than once we heard things like, “Well, you need a Bible,” and “We’ll have to read that.” 

As far as our party, itself, we had somewhere around 35 people who came over for a slice of pizza or some of Jim’s famous Little Smokies or the new entrant this year, Suzann’s taquitos.  There was plenty of food to go around.  Just about everyone who came also brought a bag or two of candy, so it was an extra treat for the kids to run the gauntlet, so to speak.  We all sat in a half circle in our driveway with bowls in our laps, and the kids walked the circle, getting candy from each person and a Bible from Jim, of course.  I spent some time hanging around in the street, giving a few pieces to the dutiful Dads who were watching their youngsters.  Hey, as I told them, now they can sneak a few pieces from their kid’s stash and honestly say that old Santa gave them candy, too. 

By “Old Santa,” I was referring to my once again masterfully crafted costume.  I did wear my Santa hat, and that was what most of the children reacted to.  Several asked if I was the real deal.  Well, you never know about old Santa, now, do you?  I wore my t-shirt that featured Animal from the Muppets.  Bright red shorts and to top it off, my newly acquired Superman socks.  Socks that looked exactly like my ankle and foot were the Man of Steel himself, cape flowing in the breeze and all.  When asked by an adult what I was dressed as (It was never an issue with the kids.  They already knew I was the real Santa, only dressed up like everyone else for Halloween.  Several of them whispered to me that they would keep my secret), I would give my “Adult Response”: “I am Super … Confused.”  That seemed to satisfy them.  And my favorite adult response to her child waving goodbye to Santa?  “We’ll see you tomorrow, Santa.”  Sigh.  What about the poor turkey?  Doesn’t Thanksgiving still come before Christmas? 

Galatians 6:2 says, “Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”


Father, thank you for all the youngsters we saw last night.  Use the New Testaments we gave out to touch some hearts,  Amen.

No comments: