Monday, November 7, 2016

November 7 – “Under the clippers”

I’m bach’in’ it today.  Chris went to Waco yesterday for a baby shower for AnnaGrace.  It was supposed to be themed “Bows and Diapers,” but somehow it morphed into an all-church shower for the entire family.  Not to be deterred, however, in the spirit of the original theme, I sent along my special secret gift from DadDad.  Chris delivered it, but had no idea what it might be.  It sure is fun doing that to her.  Everybody knows by now, though, that she maintains full deniability on all things DadDad.  The only feedback I have received this far from the unveiling portion of that deluxe gift was that it was a hit with Luke.  Oh, what was it?  It was a bow.  A simple bow.  Simplest one I could find.  And it wasn’t easy to locate, either.  I finally discovered one right next to the toy cowboy hats.  Do you know how hard it is to find a toy bow and arrow set these days?

It felt really strange getting the church set up without Chris’ help.  I got the coffee started all right, but I never thought to put out cups and sugar and creamer and napkins.  Guess I would have gotten to that when it came time for a cup of coffee.  Thanks to Robert, though.  He got thirsty before I did and took care of it.  I was just happy I remembered to get the communion station set up.  I did mop up the stray coffee drippings from the meeting the night before, but now that I think about it, I sure hope the bathrooms were in good shape. 

I received a special treat after church.  Our November ministry project emphasis is “Be Creative.”  That means spend some time praying and taking a good look at your own talents and skill set, and come up with a creative way of doing ministry.  Now, one of our Seaside ladies took that to heart.  She is a hairdresser, so she has offered to bring her supplies up to the church and cut hair.  Any money the person would have paid her, they are encouraged to donate to the church instead.  Her first guinea pig was one of our praise team members, Dale. 

Well, yesterday was my turn.  I have been growing out my mop and my beard for about two months now, hoping to develop a real Santa look by December.  The beard wasn’t so much an issue with me (although I don’t think Chris was too excited about it).  The hair around my ears, though, was driving me nuts.  So I decided to go under the clippers.  And Suzann did a fabulous job.  She didn’t just zip through with those electric clippers, either.  Everything was done meticulously.  And as a bonus, she shaped up my beard, too.  Oh, and she used one of those real barber razors to scrape the back of my neck.  I can’t remember the last time I had that done.  I sure recommend her.  Anybody need a haircut in November?  Shoot me an email or a text with the date you will be here and I’ll make sure she brings her gear.  Way to get creative in ministry, Suzann.

Ephesians 1:3 says, “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.”


Father, thank you for Suzann and her commitment to you and to ministry.  Bless her for it.  Amen.

No comments: