Wednesday, November 2, 2016

November 2 – “Hrummph”

Hrummph.  I have reached another of those days when it is early in the morning and I really don’t have a lot to say about yesterday.  Well, there’s that, and I have always wanted to use “hrummph” in a blog.  Great non-word, that hrummph.  So descriptive.  So revealing.  So throat-clearing.  There are just not that many words that can simultaneously express a physical condition of throat clog-dom and philosophical condition of mind clog-dom all at the same time.  It can command attention.  More so even than its not-so-distant, kind of boring cousin, “ahem.”  It can show disgust at the sight of certain disgusting foods, not to be named here in the unlikely event that a young child might someday read these pages.  It can certainly shout out extreme emotion when one is surprised.  And in perhaps the best coup of them all, you can spell it however you want and always hit “ignore” when auto-correct attempts to intervene. 

I will do my best to do something more than work at the computer all day today, so that I’ll have something interesting to write about tomorrow.  We do plan to go vote later on, so there’s that.  And maybe I can write a page or two on my book.  In the meantime … Hrummph.

Galatians 6:3-5 says, “If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.  Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load.”


Father, thank you for hrummph days.  Thank you for the work I was able to get done.  Amen.

No comments: