Saturday, November 26, 2016

November 26 – “A New plan for football scoring”

We had an afternoon and evening with my girl Cailyn yesterday.  she and I went outside for a while.  She wanted to play Marco Polo.  No, not in a swimming pool.  Just out in the yard.  Well, and when I was Marco, halfway down the block as well.  One of us would “close our eyes” (Like she ever actually did that.  I did it a few times.  Scary stuff) and call out “Marco.”  The other would respond “Polo” and do his best to avoid being tagged.  There is a reason the game is usually played in a swimming pool.  A limited space swimming pool.  See, I found that by the time I said “Marco” twice, I could barely hear the “Polo” response - from the end of the block.  I tried following it one time, but after nearly falling three times I gave up on that strategy.  I decided to keep saying “Marco” to a tree until Cailyn got bored and came closer. 

After our outdoor activities it was time to settle in and … watch basketball and football, of course.  Well, she did help Nana bake a Texas sheet cake.  Baylor’s basketball team pulled off an amazing upset over Louisville to win a tournament championship game.  Cailyn decided to join me for one of the football games.  I think it was the Baylor versus Texas Tech game.  Both teams were scoring right and left, keeping the TV graphics guy on his toes.  Their way of tallying up touchdowns was to show what looked like one of those Let’s Make a Deal spinners.  It would spins and stop on the six points they scored.  Cailyn watched that a time or two, and then the wheels in her head started spinning.  She looked at the screen and queried, “DadDad, when they score a touchdown, do they spin a wheel and whatever number comes up, that’s how much they get?”  I dutifully gave her a lesson in football scoring.  But the more I thought about it … just think how much more fun the game would be if that’s how they handled scoring.  You cross the end line, whether on a kick or a run or a pass.  And immediately the scoreboard shows an image of a computer generated random selection number wheel.  It spins.  The crowd waits, holding its collective breath.  The wheel slowly comes to a stop.  “And the score is …”  It could be anywhere from one to one hundred points.  No one would ever know the outcome of the game, literally until the last wheel comes to a stop.  Hey, NFL.  How’s that for a great fan idea?  I think you should institute it at the next Super Bowl game.  It might capture everyone’s attention away from the commercials.

Ephesians 4:2 says, “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”


Father, thank you for Marco’s and Polo’s and touchdowns and spinning wheels of fun.  Amen.

No comments: