Tuesday, November 22, 2016

November 22 – “Turkey Fire … er … Fryer Day”

Well, we officially made it through one more Turkey Fry Day.  Nathan and Cailyn came over around 8:30 or 9:00, and we kept at it until about 3:30 or 4.  I guess that made it a pretty full workday.  It sure felt like it last night (and this morning), with all the soreness.  Nathan is heading to Corpus for Thanksgiving, but Chris and I have to go to water exercise class this morning.  That’s not going to be a fun experience.

Back to the turkeys.  We got the fryers set up and the oil heated up and the first two turkeys going.  Then Nathan and I headed over to WalMart.  We needed to trade out our two reserve propane tanks for full ones.  The guy at the gate said to pay inside first., so we tracked down a clerk.  Rita was stocking Christmas stuff, and had a very sad look on her face.  We told her what we wanted, and she said we needed to bring the empties to the gate first, then come to her.  So we headed back to the gate.  Before we left, though, I asked her if she was having any fun.  Judging from the quizzical look I got, I guess that was a disarming question.  She sighed a deep sigh, dropped her head, and said a simple, “No, not really.”  I encouraged her to hang in there, and ran to catch up with Nathan.  He was at the gate trying to convince the guys there that the clerk inside told us to drop off the empties first, then pay.  They finally agreed to her plan.  When we finally reached the pay station again, Rita was still looking kind of gloomy, so I tried striking up a conversation with her.  I told her we were frying turkeys, and she finally responded with a slight smile.  Still forlorn, but a smile nonetheless.  “I love fried turkey,” she began, “But I never get any.  No one in my family likes it.  They all want roast and ham.”  Wow.  Talk about an Eeyore kind of day.  I couldn’t help myself at that point.  I told her we would bring her some.  She brightened a little bit.  I asked when she got off work.  She brightened a bit more.  She even offered, “I work the holiday, too.  All day Thursday.”  I’m not sure she really believed me, but she was warming to the conversation.  When we left she was sporting a real smile.  But that smile was nothing compared to the one that exploded onto her face when I returned later that afternoon with a drumstick and some white and dark meat samples.  I had to track her down to the break room, but when she saw me enter, she jumped up from her chair with a huge grin on her face and engulfed me with a massive hug.  I apologized that it wasn’t really very much, but she said, “It’s turkey.  And it’s for me,” over and over.  I guess we have another forever friend at WalMart. 

Now back to the turkeys.  A few years ago Chris decided that it would be a good idea to protect the pavers that make up our patio from any errant droplets of hot oil, should any such remnants manage to sneak over the side of the pot when a turkey is being lowered in.  an admirable idea – on most normal Turkey Fry Days.  But our name is Vaughan, and we don’t do “normal” very well.  This year was no exception.  Early on the newspaper under one of the pots played host to tiny little pockets of fire as the oil managed to grasp flame on its way to the ground.  Nathan extinguished those using the lid of the pot and, surprisingly, another pile of newspapers.  But later in the day we glanced out the window and noticed that the other pot was hosting a second conflagration.  This one was much bigger than the first.  I was elbow deep in carving turkeys this time, so Nathan and Cailyn and Chris went out to deal with the situation.  April had arrived by this time, but she stayed indoors, obviously trusting her fire fighter husband could safely handle any emergency.  All seemed to be going smoothly until Chris burst into the house, laughing so hard she could barely talk.  Through her peals of laughter, she managed to get out this bit of the story.  Seems that Nathan squatted down so he could do some on the fly teaching with Cailyn.  He was showing her how it wasn’t really the newspaper that was burning.  Instead it was the oil on top of the paper.  As he talked, though, he began to notice that things were getting hotter and hotter.  A quick inventory of his premises revealed his dilemma: “My pants are on fire!”  And he managed to get the blaze under control with minimal damage.  And we didn’t burn the house down or anything.  Always good to have a fire fighter on hand for frying turkeys.  Oh, and as a bonus, he was rewarded with the opportunity to go with his girls to the outlet malls to buy … a new pair of blue jeans.  Well, I have a hunch there were other purchases in his future as well.

Ephesians 3:16-17 says, “I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.”


Father, thank you for protecting us through our eleven turkeys this year.  Use them to bless somebody else like Rita this holiday season.  Amen.

No comments: