Monday, November 14, 2016

November 14 - “Race Day II: It’s a Zoo”

In the interest of the time of the meager few who choose to read these posts, I decided to divide our Race Day adventures.  That places me a day or two behind, I know, but living in the past every now and then can be beneficial, can’t it?

We took advantage of a free day at the zoo after the big 5K race that  Josh and Zak ran in.  They needed to walk around a while to cool down, and Caleb and Luke were up for the challenge, so into the animal wilds we went.

As we rounded the bend near the bald eagle and just past the otter house, Luke decided it was time for the Mighty Miniature 5K to begin.  And since no one else wanted to be in the thick of another competition so soon after the big boys ran, old DadDad decided to join him. 

He took off down the path, arms pumping, just as he had seen Daddy’s and Big Brother Zak’s going at the race.  His body seemed to magically transform into that of an accomplished Olympic long-distance runner.  I wasn’t sure how far we would go, or how long I could even keep up with him, but I was determined to try.  He motored along until suddenly he took a rather drastic veer to our left.  Never slowed down, but he obviously knew the race track better than I did.  I glanced up about then and noticed where he was headed – right to the playground.  Uh-huh.  Of course.  Any respectable Mini-5K would run through a playground. 

He made his way off the path (“Perhaps this is a cross-country race instead,” I fretted) and right to what I assumed would be a dead end.  But no.  It was just the steps to the slide.  Luke took the first step, then paused, pumping his arms twice.  Then the second step, another pause, another set of arm pumps.  And so it continued all the way to the top of the steps, at which point he turned to me, with his little three-year-old legs still jogging in place.  And when he was sure he had my eye, both fists shot into the air in a gesture of victory.  The race was over. We had a winner.  And then, suddenly, the three-year-old returned.  See … now it was time to slide. 

And since Luke was now lost in his post-race reverie, I went with the older two guys on a Pokemon hunt.  Fortunately for me (since I don’t have the app on my phone), the adventure took us through the middle of the otter habitat.  Otters.  My all-time favorite animal.  They weren’t really active, but I did see one, however briefly.  I’m gonna be good to go for the rest of this trip.  Well, unless Christi goes into labor.  Then everything changes. 

We did finally move on from the playground once we were all together again.  We made a quick round of the world-famous Waco Zoo while we were there (Remember, that’s where the big guys’ 5K run originated).  There was a lot of activity in the reptile house for some reason.  They were slithering around all over their enclosures.  I admit it.  I looked around to see if anybody had that Harry Potter look about them.  I did stay a few extra steps away from the glass, too. 

My favorite quote of the day came after we had lunch at a Mexican food establishment right on the river.  I made my way down a flight of stairs that lead to a pier.  I was following Zak and Caleb, of course.  They were testing the waters, so to speak.  Caleb would put his toe out onto a piece of river driftwood, then pull it back quickly, almost as if his toe had internally heard the stern warning voice of his Dad.  And Zak dutifully encouraged him to “Go just a little further.”  As I arrived I heard Zak say in his wisest of big brother voices, “The presence of danger is what makes it an adventure.  You could find a unicorn, or you could fall off and die.”  Wow.  Dumbledore-worthy, don’t you think?

Ephesians 2:6-7 says, “And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus.”


Father, thank you for zoo adventures and mini- 5K’s and family.  Amen.

No comments: