Wednesday, September 9, 2015

September 9 – “Voice Messages”

I missed a phone call yesterday.  Two, actually.  Not that unusual an occurrence, I know.  One was from a specialty pharmacy that will be providing one of my rheumatoid arthritis medications.  “Will someone be home tomorrow between the hours of ten and six to receive a Fed-Ex delivery?”  I guess that’s not something they want to leave by the front door.

The second message was from a guy who has been visiting at Seaside for a while.  And he left a message that really made my day.  He asked me to give him a call back, and then added, “If you are out fishing, then I hope you catch a lot of ‘em.”  Now that’s a great Galveston sentiment to leave with someone on a phone message.  Much appreciated, Phillip.  Especially since the call came while I was … well … out fishing. 

I had a few hours on Tuesday morning to sneak out to the beach and cast out a line.  It was a fairly profitable day, too, no doubt thanks to Phillip’s good wishes.  One nice keeper red, a few black drum, two really nice speckled trout, and some whiting.  Those incessant pests, the ladyfish were out as well, and stole their share of bait.  One of them did lose out to one of the specs, though.  They were in a race for the bait and the spec literally smacked the ladyfish aside for his swipe at that shrimp.  His victory couldn’t have made me happier.  I did run into a different bait snatcher this trip.  Haven’t seen them in quite some time, but I was surrounded by them.  Needle-nosed eels were everywhere.  Their mouth is shaped just like a pair of needle-nose pliers – long a skinny.  They move almost as fast as do the ladyfish, but they are a pain in the neck to shake off the hook. 

Speaking of pains in the neck, last night didn’t go so well in the back pain department.  I tried to get through one night without taking anything for pain.  I was doing well until around midnight.  That would be when I first turned over in my sleep, I imagine.  I struggled with it for an hour or so before giving in and taking something.  I still woke up every hour on the hour, though.  I have to admit there were several times last night when I was ready to go under the knife right then.  Sigh.  I guess I’ll call about scheduling that myelogram. 

But first … hearing aid appointment today … in Galveston.  I’m hoping for insurance approval to get the kind that can use Bluetooth to connect to my iPhone.  High tech.  WooHoo.

1 Timothy 6:11 says, “But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.”


Father, thank you for the fishing success yesterday.  And thank you for the sleep that I did get last night.  Give me the courage to make that myelogram call.  Amen.

No comments: