Monday, September 21, 2015

September 21 – “A Visit from … What IS that?”

Well, our new little addition, the puppy named Fred, caused us to wake with a start this morning.  Early this morning.  Like 4:30 early this morning.  She doesn’t bark, so it was an incessant whining the finally pierced through my hard of hearing defenses and woke me up.  I was quite surprised that Chris didn’t wake up long before me.  Or perhaps she did and was just waiting for the most opportune moment to declare her awareness.  That would be when she knew I was awake and could take point in the investigative process.  She likes to let me feel like I am still the strong, brave protector of the palace from all sorts of interlopers, whether humanoid or alien, feline or canine, rodentia or insective.  So I dutifully (and carefully) rose from my perch.  And the whining stopped.  Now understand, there is no way Fred can see me from where I was.  But somehow, nevertheless, she was toying with me from the get-go.  As I started to sit back down, the whine resumed in full force.  So I … so I … so I …

So I trudged from my bed to see what was the matter.

The room was all dark, it was still night, you see,
But the whine it continued, the sound guided me.

To the light switched I stumbled with hands held out wide.
Was the noise growing louder?  Should I warn Chris to hide?

Of a sudden the light on the ceiling did glow,
And banished all shadows from sounds down below.

As I rounded the corner and focused tired eyes,
All looked as should be … then came the surprise.

For out from the calm through the whine there arose
A stench that afflicted my unwary nose.

And there in her kennel with her tail all a-flutter
Was Fred of the fur hued of peanut butter.

All seemed to be fine far as first glance could see,
But things were not right in the olfactory.

I neared and I gagged as I opened her door,
For she had indeed found new use for her floor.

“To the yard” I did order, and outside she went.
And by now came Chris and assistance she lent.

The stench didn’t bother her nurse-train-ed nose.
In fact she took over the task that was posed.

“Throw the bed in the wash, paper towels hand to me.”
I followed directions and stayed back with glee.

She wiped and she scrubbed from the cage to the sink,
Determined to get rid of all of the stink.

My eyes, how they twinkled, my stomach aflutter.
I smiled as my heart grew then three sizes for her.

A fresh towel in place and young Fred back inside,
We locked up the kennel and both of us sighed.

Though our days tending young’uns is long ago past,
There’s always a Fred needing love that will last.

Genesis 1:21 says, “So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.”


Father, thank you for that little critter.  I suppose she will go a long way toward keeping us young.  Amen.

No comments: