Friday, September 4, 2015

September 4 – “Career Path”

School has started and the hopes and dreams of the children are once again in full swing.  We had Cailyn for our first foray of the new year into getting her to school on time for the first grade.  She arrived around 5:45 in the morning, still in her pajamas, of course.  Once her parents left, though she leapt to her feet and raced to her bag.  Now by “her bag” I mean one of three or four that must accompany her every time she comes over.  There is her school backpack.  OK, that’s a given.  Then there is the bag that contains her dolls of the day.  And of course there must be a separate bag to contain the myriad of adornments for the doll of the day.  Off to the side will invariably be a tiny stroller for the dolls to ride around in.  And finally, somewhere in the pile of essentials, there will be another bag that hopefully will contain an acceptable school uniform and perhaps some shoes. 

Yesterday, however, there somehow appeared a bonus item or two in that wardrobe bag.  As soon as her parents left, she notified me that it was time to see her new clothes that she had scored.  First to emerge was a leopard print dress that was obviously her favorite.  So much so that she just had to try it on and show me.  Now by “new dress” I also mean it still had the tag on it, so that had to be ripped off for the fashion show.  And that one remained on her person for the duration of her brief, pre-school stay.  She did, however, reveal the other contents of the bag.  No less than two other new dresses, all gorgeous, of course.  And then there was the bonus experience.  She pulled out a brand new nightgown.  I asked what that would be for, and she quickly explained that she snuck it in without Mommy and Daddy seeing it “just in case I need to spend the night when my cousins get here.”  That was not in the plans when we found out Josh and Christi were coming, but, hey, we are up for new experiences.  I love surprises.  I just don’t get many.  I may have provided a few in my time.  Guess I have to confess that much.  But I do like surprises.

So … we had a leopard print dressed 6-year-old prancing about the house preparing for school.  She threw one more surprise into the mix when she reached into her Mary Poppins bag of wardrobe and came out wearing a pair of glasses.  She modeled them for me, and then declared, “I look like a president.”  Had to agree.  Later on, as we brushed teeth, she paused to ponder her new look, explaining that she only needed the glasses to see far away.  But they did do something for her.  Out of the blue she announced, “No.  Not the president.  I look like a judge.”  I agreed with her on that one as well, perhaps a bit too readily.  It only took a few more minutes of pondering to come up with a third option. “No.  I know what it is.”  Excitedly now, “It’s a principal.  I look like a principal.” 

From president to judge to principal.  Hmm.  Sounds like an upswing to me.  She’s definitely headed in the right direction.

1 Timothy 2:8 says, “I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.”


Father, thank you for children’s dreams and for whatever comes of them in their future.  Amen.

No comments: