Tuesday, September 15, 2015

September 15 – “Electrical sales associate”

We did our search run yesterday for the supplies we need for installing cabinets and appliances at the church.  My first attempt began at Home Depot.  I was looking for the two new breakers we need to install the stove.  Electrician Eric sent me the link to it from the Home Depot website.  I looked at ordering it, but the delivery time was way longer than I expected, so, printed out photo in hand, I thought I would see if they could find one at a Home Depot somewhere nearby.  As I turned down the electrical isle, I immediately noticed not one, but three orange-vested workers.  That just doesn’t happen at Home Depot very often.  I made my way to a position where I was centered amongst them and waited.  One was engaged in an animated discussion with a customer, so I really didn’t expect a response from her.  The fellow standing about four feet from me was busily doing inventory and actively doing all he could to ignore me.  The third guy glanced at me occasionally, though, so I felt he was my best bet.  I tore myself away from the ongoing drama of that little customer altercation, and took some steps toward the third guy.  He saw me coming and knew he was stuck, so he took a visible deep breath and turned to meet my approach.  Of course this orange vested sales associate quickly explained that he was not “an Electrical Sales Associate,” but he did his best.  He did try to sell me the wrong breaker, though.  Good thing I had the picture.  Finally he left to find someone who worked in that section – a real Electrical Sales Associate.  And as soon as the new guy saw the picture he said they didn’t carry the bolt-on style.  Of course they didn’t.  After consulting with a few other orange vests who happened to walk by, and after looking it up on his computer, he was finally able to determine that no one anywhere close to here, or anywhere else for that matter, would have it in store.  Strictly an online order.  But ever helpful, the orange vested Electrical Sales Associate committee did come up with the name of an electrical supply house in Galveston.

I went right to their recommendation.  Well, not right to it.  The instructions they gave me were about ten blocks off, but google maps set me straight.  Great Electrical Sales Associate there.  Big guy wearing a cowboy hat and a red vest.  But that place didn’t have the bolt-on type either.  “As much as I hate to say this,” Red Vested Electrical Sales Associate began.  And then he recommended yet another supply house.  Back on the road again.  And as I approached, I realized that the supply house was actually right across the street from Home Depot.  Imagine that.  And it gets better.  To get to it I passed yet a third supply house - right next door to Home Depot.  I considered going back inside and letting all the orange vested Electrical Sales Associates know a little more about the rivals surrounding them, but I let that pass.  That final supply place did, indeed, have the breakers we needed.  Another big guy, but much shorter than the cowboy-hatted Red Vest, was the Electrical Sales Associate here.  This guy had on a work shirt and recognized the photo instantly.  Seems this place was a distributor for that style of breaker.  Wish I had known that in the first place.  But then, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to meet so many interesting Electrical Sales Associates. 

2 Timothy 2:23-25 says, “Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.  And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.”


Father, thank you for all the “different” people you have placed in your crazy mixed up world.  Sure makes it fun.  Could you send a few of those fun people to St. Luke’s hospital today for this myelogram?  I could sure use the distraction.  Amen.

No comments: