Wednesday, September 2, 2015

September 2 – “Wet”

Boy, were we ever blessed with some rain yesterday.  I understand it was somewhere over three inches.  Streets were flooding all over the island.  One of the fire fighters posted on FaceBook a little clip of the guys walking through almost-waist deep water after a call.  I got to see some of the flooding first hand when I got a call from the fire station on the East End.  They had a gentleman walk up to the station and request to speak to the chaplain.  It took me a while to get all the way over there, and the crew was out on a call when I arrived.  I left them a note (after searching five minutes for a pencil.  What’s up with the office supplies, guys?), and started to leave when I heard someone call out, “Has the chaplain arrived yet?”  The guy had been sitting in his car, and I guess he didn’t see me when I got there.  I invited him over and we talked for a long time about his situation and personal needs.  I gave him a little bit of money and prayed for him.  And he invited me to come to Mario’s on the Seawall next week so he could be my waiter.  I believe I might just have to take him up on that.  He said he would call the station and leave his schedule.  We’ll see. 

We also had a visit from Bob, a Seasider who is still in the process of moving here from Oklahoma.  He brought us some of the fruits of his garden up there.  A big bag of pears, a couple of squash (or is it squashes?  And where did that name come from, anyway?  It doesn’t look squashed.  And speaking of squash, why do call that game where you smack a little ball against the wall, squash?  That one never has made sense to me), and two watermelons.  One of the watermelons had rolled around in the back of his truck and was cracked, so we were forced to cut it open right away.  It was a yellow meat.  Pretty ripe, but also pretty good flavor.  We’ll have to eat that one quickly.  I think Chris can handle that charge, though.  She loves watermelon. 

1 Timothy 1:15 says, “Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners — of whom I am the worst.”


Father, thank you for water and watermelons.  Amen.

No comments: