Thursday, September 3, 2015

September 3 – “Drifting Days”

Well, there have been two days in a row now with that chemo brain stuff limiting my concentration.  And of course it comes on a week that I was really trying to get ahead of the game.  Josh and Christi and their boys are coming to town, and it would be nice to have everything almost completed before they arrive.  I did finally manage to complete the Bible study for tonight.  And there is at least a baseline for the sermon for Sunday.  I am sure glad the people at Bible Study and at Seaside are kind and forgiving. 

At least when it hits Chris has been able to come up with some kind of project that I can turn my attention to.  Otherwise I end up falling asleep at my desk.  Yesterday she had two things going.  Remember that shelf we put up in the yellow room the other day?  Or did I not write about that one?  Can’t remember.  Nonessential information.  We put up a shelf in the yellow bedroom.  There.  So yesterday was the day to fill it up.  That meant finding an appropriate photo of each of the grandkids engaged in some kind of fun activity.  One good thing about that activity was that we got to do it together.  Great fun.  The two of us hunched over the laptop, peering at digital pictures, trying to choose the absolute best one in our possession.  (And Chris is right there to nudge me in the right direction when I start to drift away).  Then starting all over again for the next grandchild.  I guess it doesn’t take much to make you happy when you get to be a grandparent.  We finally found eight good ones, got them framed and situated just so. 

The second project didn’t begin until a few minutes before the Astros game started.  Not a good time for this guy.  And as it turned out, Chris was happy for this one to be hers and hers alone.  She decided to redecorate the front porch.  Now from what I could see, there is only so much you can do with two rocking chairs and a bunch of potted plants.  Her goal was to get the rocking chairs away from the window screens.  They were puncturing tiny holes into the screens, and those tiny holes became friends with one another started joining forces, they were not so tiny any more.  In between innings I checked on her to see if she had need of my physical not-so-prowess.  She didn’t.  And the porch looks great now.  She reoriented the chairs to a different wall and moved plants around so that it looks like it was meant to be.  I guess now we’ll have to put a replacement screen on our list for the future as well.  Oh, and the Astros managed to find a way to lose the game, by the way.  I went to bed with the score tied 3-3 in the seventh inning.  Woke up to find the final score was 8-3.  Ouch.  Oh, well.   They are still in first place.  Go Astros.

1 Timothy 2:1-2 says, “I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.”


Father, thank you for the creativity my wife has displayed.  It has sure has helped in my lapses of concentration.  Amen.

No comments: