Friday, September 11, 2015

September 11 – “Swimmin’ in the rain … no, really”

Rain was falling.  The constant dripping often turned to hard pelting as the line of storms rolled through the area.  The distant sounds of thunder got closer and closer until it sounded as if explosions were being set off all around.  And just as the rain reached a fever pitch, blackening the skies and flooding the streets … we left for water aerobics.  Hey, we’re no ninnies, you know.  Ever onward through the fog, er, lightning. 

We arrived in the middle of yet another round of hard rain.  Not to be deterred, and since we were both in swimsuits anyway, we decided to forego the umbrella.  Chris bundled up and left the car.  On the other side of the Chevy, however, an entirely different scenario was developing.  Instead of covering up and hiding from the storm, I decided to embrace it in all of its glory.  I took off my shirt, threw my backpack over one shoulder, and dove into the downpour.  Using my arms, now free with the backpack secured, I literally swam threw the storm, alternating between the American crawl, the backstroke (which was difficult because I couldn’t see where I was headed), and my personal favorite for such momentous occasions, the breast stroke.  It’s the perfect choice for gliding through heavy rains.  It’s like parting the seas before you and advancing into the waiting abyss.  Lots of fun, too.  Now, don’t worry.  I don’t think anybody saw me other than Chris.  And she already thinks I’m more than a little bit … “off.” 

We got inside in time to see our classmates standing around … outside the pool … in the dark.  Apparently the lightning managed to find a place to land closer than anyone expected.  And even in an indoor pool, with lightning that close and no power inside, water aerobics class was in grave jeopardy.  Checks of the radar screen showed the bands continuing.  No end in sight.  That was it.  Water aerobics class was history.  All of us sighed resignedly and headed for our cars, stopping latecomers as they arrived and telling them the news.  Some were excited.  Others were rather disgruntled.  After all, they came all that way for nothing.  But not for nothing for those of us who made the most of the situation.  I for one was excited to try out some different strokes on the ways back to the car.  Sadly, however, the rain had stopped.  And before we got home, the sky had cleared.  Crazy Galveston weather.  Another reason I love living here.  Crazy seeks out its own kind.

Psalms 135:6-7 says, “The Lord does whatever pleases him, in the heavens and on the earth, in the seas and all their depths.  He makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth; he sends lightning with the rain and brings out the wind from his storehouses.”


Father, thank you for the rain.  That’s just another way for me to say thank you for providing the venue for some exciting rain swimming.  Amen.

No comments: