Friday, September 18, 2015

September 18 – “Inside my head”

Brand new hearing aids have arrived and have been installed in my ears.  Jury’s still out on what I think of them, but early reports are looking pretty good.  I went to watch part of Cailyn’s soccer game yesterday just before home group.  When I arrived I picked up my cell phone as usual and asked Siri to call Nathan so I could locate where they were.  She gave her customary reply, “Calling Nathan Vaughan,” but something was very different.  She was talking inside my head.  Instantly intrigued, I set my phone down and waited.  The phone rang - inside my head.  And then Nathan started talking – inside my head.  So I talked back, forgetting to pick up my phone.  And he heard me just fine – all inside my head.  Very strange phenomenon.  I can see how this could result in some very fun experiences in crowded spaces.  I can talk with the voices in my head and everyone will think I’m looney.  New bucket list item.  I also now have an extra little cell phone to carry around with me.  I can use it to remotely adjust the settings.  It also works as an external microphone that picks up sound and sends it to my ears wherever I happen to be.  So if I go to the kitchen to make a sandwich during the Astros game I will never miss a beat.  Wonder if it can be programmed to just pick up the radio broadcast and drop it inside my head?  Oh, and we also paired it with Chris’ phone.  That means I can hijack her phone calls.  But only if her Bluetooth is turned on.  Needless to say, she turned it off as soon as we got home.  We are anxious to try some FaceTime calls.  We figured out that I can’t tap into the audio feed and still have Chris be able to hear as well, so I’ll just have to trust that the external mikes can pick it up.  Electronic toys.  Better than a video game. 

We did miss a call from the neurosurgeon while we were at the audiologist’s office.  The myelogram results are in.  Drum roll here.  The “good news” is that the stenosis can be categorized more as moderate than severe.  Of course it’s still there and is still progressing.  But the bad news is, there is a herniated disc just below the stenosis that is placing severe pressure on nerves.  That’s no doubt the culprit of this round of pain.  It is a “surgical issue,” and we are to call him with our questions or to proceed further.  We haven’t had time to marinate that inside or outside our heads yet, so no decisions have been made.  I have been told that I must need a hobby since the last few posts have been so long, so I’ll quit here.  More to come. 

2 Peter 1:10-11 says, “Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”

Father, thank you for these miracles stuffed into my ears.  Every moment is a new experience with them … kind of like life with you.  Amen.


No comments: