Tuesday, July 7, 2015

July 7 – “Rafter punching”

I got my test results back from the blood tests I had the other day.  Apparently they didn’t like the first run, so they did it over again.  I had two completely different test results in my online chart.  And of course I have no idea what either of them mean.  I’m waiting for Cailyn to get Chris good and awake so she can interpret them for me.  One of them shows what my cholesterol is doing - good, bad and extraneous.  The other one is a repeat for my rheumatologist.  He wasn’t pleased with my Creatinine levels.  There’s a fun one for you medical buffs to play with.  Has something to do with how badly the medicine to fight joint pain is affecting my kidneys.  Again, I’ll wait for Chris to get the interpretation on that one.  In the meantime, I’m still here, so I guess I’m OK for now.

Yesterday’s big event was another garage project checked off.  After Hurricane Ike I inherited around 30 fishing rods and reels.  The reels have been easy enough to store, but most of the rods have just been leaning against the wall gathering sawdust.  I have about eight or nine that I actually use.  The rest are ones from Dad or from our neighbor that I just hated to see tossed in the trash.  Chris has been doing some digging online, and she came up with an idea for hanging them from the ceiling.  As it happened, we had some leftover lattice from a backyard project of many years ago.  The idea was to hang to lengths of that from the ceiling and slip the rods through the lattice openings.  Great idea.  But how to make it work?

Now our garage is just a one-car affair, so every inch of space is golden out there.  For this project to work, it would have to hang above the area where the garage door comes up.  Pretty tight quarters.  I had to cut the lattice to match that space.  Still left us with two rows of openings.  Plenty for the extra rods we have.  We did have to make a quick trip to Home Depot.  We needed a piece of 1X2 to provide a brace for the top of the lattice.  Oh, and some longer screws to go through the sheetrock on the ceiling and into the rafters.  We already had some 90 degree angle brackets that would work to attach them to the ceiling.  All went well with installing the brace piece and brackets.  Then came the fun part – locating a rafter to screw into.  Oddly enough, I found one on the first try, and installation, part one was completed successfully.  And then came part two

Of course I was basking in the glory of my success as I measured carefully to locate the rafter I knew would be there.  Before drilling for the screws, though, I went all old-fashioned on the project.  I pulled out a skinny nail and hammered it into the spot.  And no rafter.  I moved it over a bit.  No rafter.  I moved it a bit more.  No rafter.  I ended up with fifteen or twenty holes in the ceiling and no rafter hits.  When I finally did get one, it was nowhere near an appropriate place to connect the contraption we had.  So what do you do when your best laid plans just aren’t going to work?  Switch to sheetrock anchors and put the pole with reels where the weight is on the opposite end.  Sheetrock anchors are plenty strong enough to hole up the tip ends of 20 rods.  Plan B was on.  And now the project is done.

Of course I failed to mention that it took me several hours more than it should have to get it all accomplished.  As I went along I did some culling and combining of garage storage stuff.  Meanwhile Chris was inside, busily going through the boxes of things we had out there from Mom and a host of other places as well.  The good thing was, Kel and Christina are having a garage sale this weekend, so we could clear the stuff out right away.  We still have a long way to go, but check off one more thing.  And thank you, my HGTV home audience, for tuning in once again to The Vaughan House.  See you next time.

Exodus 9:16 says, But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”


Father, thank you for creativity and flexibility.  Two of my favorites among your inventions.  Amen.

No comments: