Sunday, July 5, 2015

July 5 – “Gruntese and fireworks from the deck”

Our Fourth of July holiday was an unusual one.  Well, at the very least it had a most unusual start time.  We woke up to the alarm at 4:30 so we could be on the road by 5:20 to Aransas Pass, Texas, near Corpus Christi.  Not that we were going to the beach down there.  Why would we do that when we live on Gilligan’s Island?  Since we couldn’t get a hotel room the night before, we decided to make a long day of it and headed on to the funeral of April’s grandfather. 

The funeral was scheduled to start at 10.  We arrived right at 9, so we went to the McDonald’s across the street for some breakfast.  Chris grabbed a set next to the window, and we ate and watched the comings and goings of the metropolis of Aransas Pass.  At least we did until we saw Nathan and April’s car pull into the funeral home parking lot.  Cailyn seemed genuinely surprised and excited to see us.  She ran across the lobby at full tilt and leapt into my arms.  Oof.  Did the same to Chris.  Nice to feel loved.  The family seemed to be doing well.  Grandpa George was a Christian, so they were comforted in knowing he was with Jesus.  April looked really tired, but she’d been up late every night preparing slide shows and talking with relatives. 

The service was packed.  The preacher was biblically sound, but very soft-spoken.  I confess our early morning caught up with me, and I dozed off a time or two.  I did better when Chris slipped me a pack of Smarties to munch on.  What miracles sugar hath wrought. 

After the graveside service we went to their church for lunch.  A lot more people than they expected showed up.  I think they even ran out of food.  It was some good barbeque brisket, though.  It was fun to see April’s Corpus Christi family again.  They are really sweet folks.  I even met a few new ones.   I was trying to find out what radio station carried the Astros games in that area.  April sent me to Uncle George, who sent me to his son … by the time all was said and done, I had the answer AM1230.  I was all set for the ride home. 

Our trip home was uneventful, at least for me.  The Astros suffered a defeat, but I didn’t hear most of it.  I just couldn’t stay awake.  Chris insisted I was even snoring.  Actually I was just communicating with her in the only language available to me at the time: Gruntese.  Very rare.  I was just letting her know I was OK. 

After we got home we went out on a date.  Best one we have had in a long time.  We walked up onto our deck.  That was pretty much it.  We walked up there around 9:15 and watched the Galveston city fireworks display.  And before it ended the Moody Gardens fireworks show started up behind us, so we had fireworks in stereo.  Not to mention all the wildcatters setting them off all around us.  I know there were plenty of calls to the fire department about those renegade fire crackers.  I prayed more than once for the guys on duty.  The fireworks ended around 9:40, and so did our amazing date.  We made the trek down the stairs and went to bed.  No traffic hassles.  No fighting the crowds.  Maybe we’ll host a party next year.  9:15 on our deck.  Party ends at 9:45.  The ultimate senior citizens night not on the town.  Gotta love it.

Psalms 67:1-2 says, May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine upon us, that your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among all nations.”


Father, continue to watch over April’s family and help them with the decisions they now face.  Ride with Nathan and April and Cailyn as they head home.  Amen.

No comments: