Tuesday, July 28, 2015

July 28 - “Mission Accomplished”

I had an especially entertaining interchange with a youngster on Sunday morning right before church began.  Six-year-old Korty tugged at my shirt to get my attention.  Here’s what occurred next (Best I can remember):
Korty (Just above a whisper):  “I just had to tell you something ... Batman and Superman are alive.”
Me: “They are?  Wow.  That’s really great news.”
Korty: “Yes, they really are.  See, I talked to them.”
Me: “Ah, no wonder you can be so sure.  Well, I’m really glad to hear that.  I have a son who needs to know that.” (Background info here: My eldest son in under the sadly mistaken impression that the Marvel Universe is somehow real and the DC universe is not.  This just could be the proof that sways his opinion).
Korty (After a long pause as if he was pondering some deep philosophical quandary):  “But I’m not sure about the other Super Friends.  I don’t know if they’re still alive.”
Me: Well, I’m pretty sure if Superman and Batman are OK, then the rest of the Super Friends are, too.”
Korty (unconvinced): “Well, maybe.  But I haven’t talked to them.”
Me: “Well, At least we know Superman and Batman are on the job and the world is a safer place.”
Korty (shaking his head slowly from side to side): “I don’t know.  I just don’t know.”

With a serious face, having delivered his important message to the powers that be in the room, he slowly plodded over to his Mom and Dad.  Mission accomplished.

Philippians 3:12 says, “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.”


Father, thank you for the delightfully deep thoughts of children.  Amen.

No comments: