Sunday, July 26, 2015

July 26 – “Many giggles”

Chris and I had a preview of what our life might become (at least temporarily) the other day when we baby sat for Kel and Christina so they could go see Ant Man.  They got word from their realtor that the seller’s realtor is now saying she made a mistake and the seller wants $11,000 more than they agreed to and signed a contract for.  She wants Kel’s realtor to give up his commission and Kel and Christina to pay all of the closing costs to help make up the difference.  Kel immediately texted me for the name of a real estate lawyer in case it comes to that.  Needless to say, the battle rages.  In the meantime Kel and Christina have to be out of their house by July 30th.  The plan was to stay with us for a few days until closing takes place on the 3rd.  Now we wait to see if “a few days” turns into weeks or months. 

So as I was saying, we had the kids.  Chris was playing a board game with all three boys at the table.  Something called Settlers, where you have to buy and sell commodities to get enough to build roads and cities.  Every roll of the dice has an effect on every player in the game.  Chris says she still doesn’t completely understand it.  As for me … I was playing with Noa.  The whole two-year-old experience is way more my style.  Aside from the changing a dirty diaper scenario (that would be me changing hers), we had a pretty good time together.  She started singing about monkeys jumping on the bed, so we went into the bedroom and did some practical literary research into the subject.  Well, she did.  With many giggles.  I did my best to see that this particular little monkey stayed on the bed.  Besides, my back and joints were a little too creaky to attempt the jump this time.  Maybe next week.  She did insist I remove my shoes before getting on the bed.  That girl’s been brought up right. 

She also started a game of sorts involving noses and toes.  Not a song this time.  She would just grab in the general direction, say, “Got you’s,” and pretend to pop something into her mouth.  Took me a while, but I soon figured out that she was slowly devouring my nose and toes over and over again.  Of course, much to her delight, I returned the favor.  Numerous giggles.

We returned to the study where she found some of those tiny baseball caps – the kind they sell ice cream in at the Astros games.  And we both had to wear one, or rather balance one best we could on our head.  More giggles.  My favorite time of our escapade together, though, came when she started a game of catch with one of the rubber baseballs I have (usually stored inside the aforementioned tiny baseball caps).  That girl has quite the arm.  And she has an even better sense of what a pitcher is supposed to do before he lets the ball fly.  Her windup is a sight to behold.  She even has a Juan Marichal –esque leg kick (Hah.  Did I get you with an obscure baseball trivia reference?  He was a pitcher for the Giants in my era.  Had a leg kick as part of his windup that often went over his head.  Very strange to watch.  Impressive, but strange.  And Juan had nothing on Noa.  Her leg rose into the air like a ballerina, pausing for a long second or two before unwinding and allowing her arm to release the ball, which by now had become insignificant next to the awe generated by the leg kick.  More giggles.  Oh, and she laughed a time or two as well.

Philippians 3:8 says, “What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.”

Father, thank you for, my littlest granddaughter.  Keep her safe and healthy as she grows up in that family full of princes dedicated to her protection.  Amen.

No comments: