Saturday, July 4, 2015

July 4 – “Change of plans”

Well, it’s a holiday weekend on beautiful Galveston Island.  Practically speaking that means something very different than waving flags, attending parades, watching fireworks, eating barbeque, and appreciating America.  Don’t get me wrong, it is certainly all that.  But for Galveston Island it also means an increase in our population in the realm of twenty to thirty thousand people.  Yep.  I’m serious.  That many people come to the beach to play, and they stay for the long weekend.  They bring their money and support our hotels and vendors, so in that sense it is a very good thing.  But they also bring their cars along.  And that tends to make for some crowded conditions.  Most Islanders stay at home on weekends like this.  And if they have to get out, they use the well-established back road routes.  Others get out of town. 

Yesterday it was our intention to drive to Corpus Christi for the funeral of April’s grandfather.  We got gas in the car and even were packed and ready to leave.  On a whim I decided to check and see if I could find a hotel in the same group that was stayed in on our vacation.  To my horror virtually every hotel in the area we were heading to was completely full.  I checked e very website I could think of, and they all said the same thing.  No vacancies.  Well, that’s not entirely true, I guess.  There were some rooms at some swanky places.  The kind where rooms start at $250 a night.  So much for a trip to Corpus Christi.  Later on Chris was checking out the news on her phone.  And what should pop up but a story about a major traffic tie-up right on the road we would have taken.  Cars had been stopped for over an hour and a half with no relief in sight.  Hmm.  Maybe it was a good thing we didn’t go to Corpus.

That plan changed, we decided to go by the post office to get one of our bills paid on time.  Holiday mail always messes with my bill paying schedule.  Just when you need the mailman to come pick up some bills, there is no mail service.  As we headed toward our major hub, 61st Street, on a whim, I decided to check the fire department ap on my phone.  A major accident came up – rollover on 61st and Broadway.  Of course.  That’s exactly where we were headed.  But that coincidental check of the ap saved us a lot of time and grief.  We managed to pull into a restaurant parking lot and get turned around.  We did go to WalMart just for fun.  Well, we needed a specialty light bulb for the church, but that was just an excuse to people watch as far as I was concerned.  And WalMart was loaded with tourists.  Great place to watch people any time, but especially fun when they are on vacation and have let their hair down.  We finally went back home and settled in for the duration, when what to our wondering eyes should appear, but ... the mailman.  I raced out the front door and gave him our bills to mail.  Why he was delivering on the holiday weekend, i have no idea.  Well, wait.  I think maybe I do.

So we didn’t do so well with the plans we had made.  And we were a little peeved about it.  That is until we saw what was going on that we could have been involved in if our plans hadn’t been altered.  Hmm.  Maybe God does know what he’s doing.

Jeremiah 29:11-14 says, For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Father, thank you for your protection.  Feel free to invade our itinerary any time.

Amen.

No comments: