Wednesday, July 1, 2015

July 1 – “There’s a catch”

OK.  For those of you waiting with bated breath (No idea how to actually spell that, but spell check allowed it that way, so there it is) for the results of the next project … Dad’s old fluorescent light has been hung in the garage.  Took a while to find some studs to put the screws in, and some finagling of the chains that held it up, but the light is there and it does work.  Another little piece of my Dad hanging around.  Nostalgia.

We did receive a special request yesterday from Micah.  He appropriated his Mom’s phone so he could text us and ask if we would go to the beach with them.  And if we did, could we bring along an extra fishing pole.  Now how can you turn down a request like that?  I worked hard to get a little ahead on my preparations for Thursday and Sunday so we could go to the beach. 

It was really rough – a terrible day for attempting any fishing, but I baited a hook with Micah and we braved the crashing waves and made a few casts.  At one point I heard him cry out, “DadDad, I think I caught something.”  I turned to watch him reel whatever it was in.  Sure enough, when the hook finally cleared the water line, he had indeed caught something.  His eyes exploded into full moons.  His mouth dropped open in astonishment.  That all happened in the second or two before he started screaming, “It’s a crab!  It’s a crab!”  And with the screaming came the reflexive backing away slowly, then faster and faster.  I was just praying that he wouldn’t drop the fishing pole.  To his credit, he hung on to the pole, but sadly, he did lose the crab.  And he decided to take a break from fishing while he recovered.  I managed to land a crab later on, so he assumed it was the same one he had caught.  We cleaned it and boiled it up for him to eat.  Happy birthday action there, Micah. 

Josiah joined me out in the water for a while, just to chat.  Chatting is something he has become remarkably proficient at.  I still have trouble understanding him sometimes.  He talks really fast, and if I can’t see his face, I’m in trouble.  But he doesn’t seem to mind.  I think Mom and dad have coached him on good ol’ DadDad’s auricular deficiencies.  He finally got to his ultimate purpose for engaging me.  “DadDad, you live a lot closer to the beach than I do.  I live in Texas City (Actually they live in LaMarque.  Not sure where the Texas City came from.  They are house hunting, so maybe he has heard something), and that’s a long way from here and we have to drive far to get here, so if you catch a fish out here would you let me have it to take home since you can come back again and get another fish later?”  Whew.  Quite the proposal, don’t you think?  I quickly agreed, but also assured him that there would probably be no fish caught today.  He was fine with that possibility and resumed his frolicking through the waves.  I think we might have a lawyer in the making there. 

Psalms 37:11 says, But the meek will inherit the land and enjoy great peace.”


Father, thank you for crabs and kids and days at the beach.  Amen.

No comments: