Friday, July 3, 2015

July 3 – “Happy birthday, Nathan”

Yep.  Youngest son Nathan’s birthday today.  I remember it well.  We lived in Mansfield and he was born at the hospital in nearby Fort Worth.  The next day I took his two older brothers to the Independence Day Parade.  I vaguely recall someone saying something about it all being a celebration for their new baby brother.  Can’t remember who might say something like that …

I actually went to the doctor yesterday … for a physical.  I can’t remember the last time I had one of those things.  Maybe back in school sports when they ran you through like cattle and told you to cough.  It has been a while.  The sweet but somewhat distracted nurse who did my vitals made the mistake of asking me, rather off-handedly, if I was having any pain.  My answer kind of took her aback.  I quietly replied, “Constantly.”  She almost dropped her clipboard.  “But I thought this was for a well check-up.”  I reassured her, “This is about as well as it gets for you guys.  Everything else goes through my rheumatologist.”  She was a bit more alert after that little interchange. 

My doctor came in, and I wished him well on his new venture in life.  He and his wife accepted a year’s contract to work in family medicine at a clinic in New Zealand.  Small farming community of about 5000.  People, not cows.  I reminded him that the first time I saw him I told him he would be leaving before long.  Every doctor I have ever had at UTMB has left town.  I thought it was just me, but his reply was telling.  “You know, I can almost say I remember you saying that.  But it’s only because just about everybody says that.”  Hmm. 

There was no treadmill test or anything like that.  You can’t get that unless you are having specific symptoms.  He told me a physical for anyone over 40 (I think he was being generous there) meant looking for the things that will kill you.  Basically, that meant cancer and heart attack.  For a woman it’s pretty involved.  Mammogram and pap smear.  I wasn’t sure why I was getting the procedures for women, but it was kind of interesting.  For an old man (No, he didn’t really say that, but the guy looks like he’s about 16 years old, so he was probably thinking it), it means two “simple” things: Cholesterol and Colonoscopy.  OK.  I expected the cholesterol one.  Chris warned me there.  He went into a lecture about colonoscopies, and I told him I had had one of them already.  He asked if it had been more than ten years ago.  Knowing that I was surely dangerously close to that milestone, I sheepishly replied, “I couldn’t tell you.  I was pretty much asleep the whole time.”  Guess who has a colonoscopy ordered?  And a blood test for cholesterol?  I actually was supposed to get that blood test this morning. But I forgot until the third chunk of pineapple had just made its way into my mouth.  The test is a fasting one.  Not today.  My official results were, in a nutshell, I am fairly healthy for an old guy … except for the pain.  Most of the problems I have seem to be a direct result of the rheumatoid pain (in the joints) or neurological pain (in the back and neck).  Or the medication I take to try to control it all.  Sigh.  At least it’s mine.

Psalms 107:9 says, “Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men”


Father, thank you for that good report from the doctor.  Travel with him and his wife on their journey to New Zealand.  And thank you for that youngest son of ours.  He has been quite the exciting gift through the years.  Amen.  

No comments: