Friday, July 4, 2014

July 4 – “Fishin’ with friends”

Well, I finally convinced myself that I could do it.  I could wade through the piles of seaweed on the beach and do some wade fishing.  My window of opportunity was quite small, but I was determined to at least try.  I decided not to waste money on live bait this time, though.  I used some of the dead shrimp I had frozen in the freezer. 

I was rather tentative as I headed down the seawall steps there in front of WalMart.  That’s my favorite spot.  Why?  No, it’s not because there is a particular honey hole in the Gulf around there, although there are two different standing spots that often result in very different results.  Sadly it is more of an economic and convenience decision.  Convenience in that it is the closest point to the beach from my house.  Economic in that it is the beginning of the only strip of seawall parking that does not require you to pay using your cell phone and registering your license plate.   So back to being tentative.  The seaweed completely covers the granite boulder rickrack now.  I know from prior experience that there are deep holes in between the rocks.  I also know that the boulders often provide a home for some of the slipperiest sea stuff I have ever slipped on.  I wasn’t interested in being incapacitated before I even got a line in the water.  However, my fears were unfounded.  There was so much seaweed that after about a foot and a half, I couldn’t even see the rocks any more.  I used my pole to test out each step, but aside from the sickening crunch beneath my holey tennis shoes, it bore my weight as if I was on the sand.  And when I reached the sand, what used to be a two foot leap into the unknown waters had become a two inch gradual step.  So access was great.  There is one plus for the seaweed. 

The influx is not over yet, however.  Oh, there were patches of the evil stuff all around me, but there were occasional breaks in the masses.  And I did catch a few whiting and quite a few hardhead catfish.  There were times though when a patch of seaweed would drift in that was so thick I had no choice but to wait it out.  One of those times kind of snuck up on me after I had already made a cast.  So while I waited and slowly reeled in the line, something unusual happened.  I noticed a butterfly making its way toward me from the Gulf.  That’s right.  Just a simple butterfly.  Not one of those monstrous Jurassic ones that Moody Gardens releases every so often.  This one was normal sized.  Very pretty coloring, too.  Yellows and blues and some greens and even a patch of white that looked like a big eye.  How do I know so much about the colors?  Well, I’m glad you asked.  The little critter landed on my shoulder.  Just like he was my well-trained pet.  I don’t know if he had just flown over from Mexico or maybe was on his way down there for a vacation, but I welcomed him and told him he was welcome to stay and rest as long as he needed to.  We had quite a conversation, in fact.  I don’t remember when he finally flew away.  I think it was when I actually got a bite and was reeling in one of the catfish.  But it was fun to have a tiny little companion sitting on my shoulder.

The second somewhat unusual event came when several of the Hawaiian Islands were making their way toward shore.  Again I paused to wait and marvel at the sheer extent of the seaweed coming toward me.  That’s when I noticed two dolphins surfacing between me and Honolulu.  Carefree as ever, gracefully making their way through and around the floating islands.  And a heartbeat behind them came two more.  None were in a particular hurry.  They were simply making the most of a seaweed-y situation.  Gotta be a spiritual lesson in there somewhere, right? 

I ended the trip with four or five whiting that I kept – a good start toward our next family fish fry, I guess.  I will remember the dolphins’ visit, though.  And the butterfly.  I do like fishin’ with friends.

2 Peter 1:5-8 says, “For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.”

Father, help me to develop perseverance like the butterfly and peace like the dolphin.  Amen.

No comments: