Sunday, July 27, 2014

July 27 – “Compassion, Collections, Candy and Concussion”


I heard a rumor the other day that some of our fire department guys went above and beyond the call of duty after a wreck call.  Something about a dog in one of the vehicles that they rescued and took back to the station to care for.  How’s that for compassion? 

Chris and I did some garage sale-ing yesterday.  How do you spell that anyway?  Sailing?  Saling? Anyway, we didn’t find anything we couldn’t live without.  That’s the thing about Chris.  She has never been an impulse buyer by any stretch of the imagination, and garage sales are all about buying on impulse.  She’s still looking for that perfect china cabinet so she can display her vast collection of Precious Moments figurines. 

After working on the sermon for a while, I decided to work in the yard, weeding some flower beds and ripping up some more stickerburs.  I wasn’t able to stay out very long, but I was there long enough to meet our new neighbor.  She saw me attacking the stickerburs and offered to loan me her stand-up-instead-of-squat-down stickerbur-remover.  Hey, anybody that has a stikerbur remover is already a friend of mine.  Oh, and by the way, her name was Candy Darling.  At least that’s what she told me.  Sounds like something out of a J.M. Barrie book.  You know, Peter Pan and Wendy Darling.  Welcome to the neighborhood, fellow stickerbur-hater.

I have discovered this week that I’m going to have to retrain my head and convince it that I candle heat and pain again.  For some strange reason, after my fall last Sunday, the heat really gets to me.  And any joint pain or other twinge seems like it is intensified way beyond what it should be, sometimes even to the point of making me nauseous.  Chris says all that, combined with the off and on headaches that I have been having, indicate that it’s a pretty good bet that I had a concussion.  I gotta get over that. 

Psalms 116:5-7says, “The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion.   The Lord protects the simplehearted; when I was in great need, he saved me.  Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the Lord has been good to you.”

Father, thank you for your compassion towards me.  I think that proves you protect the simple-minded as well as the simple-hearted.  Amen.

No comments: