Monday, July 28, 2014

July 28 – “Baptism and the (concussion) blues”

We got to experience another baptism at the beach at church yesterday.  Always a phenomenal event.  The young man from Georgia who I led to the Lord last Sunday was back to follow up his commitment and get baptized.  A really good crowd followed us down to the beach, too, to watch and encourage James.  He is leaving for college back in Georgia soon, so he’ll need a lot of encouragement and prayer.

I asked our worship leader, a strong young man named Jimmy, to walk out into the surf with me and be on hand to help me with the baptism.  Not that James was all that heavy or anything.  I was honestly just not confident that I could lift him back up out of the water.  Along those lines, I also had kind of a difficult time with the teaching.  It felt like I was all over the place.  I just couldn’t stay focused.  I couldn’t concentrate.  And Chris confirmed my suspicions on the way to lunch, when she asked if I was doing all right.  She agreed that the teaching was hard to follow and I seemed to be rambling at points.  I guess I needed the break at McAlister’s Deli with some friends.  It was good to just sit at a restaurant and watch people, er, I mean, eat my turkey melt. 

And then I forgot about a couple coming over for marriage counseling that afternoon.  That worked out fine, though.  We have been trying to get together for several months now. So I already had their folder on my desk and ready to go.  I’m looking forward to that one.  It sounds like it will be quite an affair.  Anyway, at least I haven’t had any more of the nausea lately, and the headaches don’t seem to last as long.  The stitches site is pretty much healed, though.  Still sore to touch.  So how long does this concussion stuff last anyway?  I’m ready to be done with it.  Mondays are my busiest days in terms of desk work.  Or maybe I could go visit one of the fire stations.  Or go fishing.  Or … (Insert deep breath here with audible sigh).  Guess I’d better get started.

Psalms 145:8-9 says, “The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.  The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made.”

Father, thank you for drawing James into your family and back to be baptized yesterday.  Surround him with your love and protection when he heads back to Georgia.  And help him find a good church there.  Amen. 

No comments: