Tuesday, July 22, 2014

July 22 – “Cailyn-isms from a young nurse”

A quick update on my injury.  The swelling around my eye seems to be going down as expected.  The soreness in, well, the rest of my body, will take a few more days, I guess.  That gets worse the longer I sit at the computer, so I have been frustrated at the amount of work I have been able to get done.  Mondays are usually my most productive days.  I am not going to water therapy this morning, but that’s mainly because I am not supposed to get the stitches site wet until later this afternoon.  Moving around in the warm water sounds like a really good thing to me right now.  It’s days like this that make me wish we had already repaired our hot tub. 

I had my extra little nurse around here yesterday.  Cailyn was pretty much at my beck and call.  And she was quite fascinated by the whole situation.  Not that she liked it.  She just made several comments throughout the day that revealed a bit about where that gorgeous head of hers was.  And the comments came at totally random times.  Some were while I was typing.  Others came when I was resting on the couch or taking a nap back in the bedroom.  Check out some of her gems of concern.

The first one was at my desk.  She had kind of a thoughtful look about her as she straightened up some papers.  “DadDad, I’m glad you don’t need a walker like MeeMaw.”  Me, too, Cailyn.  This is a bit of a different situation than MeeMaw was in, though.  I assured her that I would get better.

Then came her response, another classic.  “You can live ‘til you’re a hundred years old, ok?”  I overplayed to that one, mainly to lighten the mood.  “A hundred?  That’s a really long time.  But thank you for giving me permission.  Tell you what.  I’ll be OK as long as I get to dance with you at your wedding.”  She grinned and agreed to that provision.

Later she waxed pensive once again.  I guess I was getting tired and sorer and my countenance was probably reflecting my pain.  She watched me for a few minutes, then noted, “I wish Mr. Robert was the one who walked into that room.”  Ouch.  Sorry, Robert.  I assured her that it was an accident and that I would be getting better soon. 

On one of her many trips to check on me she paused by the light switches on the wall.  “DadDad, it would be better if that room had a light switch right by the door and you could just switch it on before you go in.”  The youngsters always hear and understand way more than we give them credit for.  She heard the part of the story about the only light switches being on the opposite side of the room.  Of course I agreed with her on that one.  It would have been nice to have seen where I was going.  But again, it was an accident.

I know she talked to Chris a lot throughout the day as well, but I couldn’t always hear enough of their conversations to make them out.  I did catch one, though.  Cailyn was asking about my stay at the minor emergency clinic.  She has been there, too.  In fact her pediatrician’s office is right next door, so she knew the ropes on this one.  Her question for Chris?  “Did DadDad have to wear a little dress?”  Nope.  No dresses this trip.  I already had blood on my clothes, so it didn’t really matter. 

Probably my favorite Cailyn-ism of the day, though, came as she stood right next to me for a long period of time, just staring at my face.  I knew what she was doing, so I didn’t look at her for a while.  Finally I turned to face her and asked, “Whatcha doin’?”  She cocked her head a bit to the side like a dog hearing an unusual sound and in her very best, serious nurse-voice said, “It’s OK, DadDad, I’m just looking at your threads.”  Threads?  Ah, yes, she was just checking out my stitches.  Means the same thing, right?

1 Corinthians 12:24-26 says, “But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.”

Father, thank you for the loving concern of my five-year-old nurse.  Amen.

No comments: