Monday, July 21, 2014

July 21 – “Emergency”

Greetings from black eye central.  That would be me.  It hasn’t turned purple yet, so for a while at least I’m sticking to basic black.  And what, pray tell, happened to me?  Well …

I suppose it depends on who you talk to.  After seeing the picture Chris took, each of the male grandchildren had a different take on the situation, knowing their DadDad as well as they do.  Jachin was sure that I had narrowly survived a vicious attack by at least five assassin ninjas.  Micah, however, disputed that claim.  In his highly respected medical opinion, the evidence clearly showed that there had indeed been an attack, but the culprits were most certainly two renegade badgers.  Nay, nay, saith Josiah the Younger.  His decided opinion was that he had been waylaid by two … no make that six … Tuscan raiders.   Zak and Caleb simply indicated that they would be sufficiently impressed if he came away with an Anakin-quality scar. 

Now I am definitely tempted to simply stop there and let all my fans choose which story is their favorite.  In fact, that would still be kind of fun.  Let me know which one you choose.  But I guess I should confess that the actual injury was nothing nearly that exotic.  Not that it wasn’t a pretty serious injury.  In fact, for the second time in my life it is entirely possible that the fact that I was wearing glasses may have saved my life.  Or at least this time, my eyesight.  The first time was in high school when I pulled a basketball backboard down on my head after a particularly awesome dunk.  The rim hit my glasses and skimmed off instead of chopping my head in half.  Again, that was much more exciting than this one. 

As it happened I was at the church retreat center looking for a two inch notebook.  As I entered one of the rooms, it was particularly dark.  The light switch was located on the other side of the room, and there was a chair blocking the door from completely opening.  Little did I know at the time that there was a reason for that chair’s location.  I forced the door open wide enough for me to squeeze through, and started out for the far-away light switch.  Unbeknownst to me, however, one of our metal cots had been relocated to this room to accommodate some of our previous week’s guests.  I managed maybe two steps before my shins contacted the cot and I went down.  My hands were pinned under me by springs of the cot, so down I crashed, head first into one of the posts that were used for turning the cot into a bunkbed.  And by head first, I mean eye first.  Literally.  I hit the post right in the middle of the left lens of my glasses.  The metal frames held strong, though, bending only slightly.  And the unbreakable glass, though slightly scratched, remained unbroken.  Thanks to their selfless deflection, the post didn’t make its way through my eye orbit and into my skull.  I didn’t see the proverbial stars, but there was a definite flash of light.  It was accompanied by a stab of pain that radiated out from my eye to the back of my head, down my neck and into my lower back.  Whiplash.  I was worried that something bad might just be occurring here. 

I was accompanied on my journey by one of our church members who just happens to be a paramedic.  He heard my cry and my accompanying speculations: “I think I may be bleeding … oh yeah, I’m bleeding.”  He immediately shifted into professional mode and started issuing instructions.  “Stay right there.  Keep pressure on it.”  He raced for the first aid kit.  Now by this time I was sweating as well as bleeding, so the tape he tried to use wouldn’t stick.  But hey, he is a paramedic, and quite creative.  He broke open a roll of gauze and began wrapping it around and around my entire head.  Once he got that taped down, he guided me out the door.  I had to send him back for my glasses, but he made me promise not to attempt the stairs without him present.  This was beginning to sound a bit more serious that I thought.  Glasses in hand, we made our way downstairs.  He told me to sit at the picnic table while he went inside the other building to get Chris. 

She told me later that he made eye contact with her and wiggled his finger for her to come to him.  He told her to get her purse and come with him.  I can imagine that she was a bit perplexed, but she complied.  And when she saw me, her first thought was, “Wow, it looks like that bandage is holding his nose on.  What in the world happened?  Did he fall down the stairs?”  (See, she’s not nearly as creative as her grandsons.  Way too practical).  She made her cursory examination, and since our paramedic continued urging us to leave, we made our way to the car. 

We made a quick stop by the house on the way to the clinic.  I had to go to the bathroom, and Chris wanted to get some ice for my head.  She did tell me not to wash the blood off my hands, though.  Little nurse trick to get us seen quicker.  By the time we arrived at the minor emergency clinic I had quite a headache, and my neck and back were starting to complain as well.  The girl at the front desk took one look at me and immediately called for a nurse.  Guess the blood worked.  Well, that and the mummy wrap around my head.  The nurse came out immediately, and within seconds we were on our way to a room.  Her only comment was that I looked like a revolutionary war hero.  I lamented that I had lost my fife.  Ah, it’s great to be surrounded by so much creativity.  The doctor came in not long after, and seven stitches later we were released.  There was a brief moment when I thought we would be delayed for a while, though.  My blood pressure was 145 over 96.  They didn’t like that second number.  It finally came down into the 80’s, though, so we dodged that particular bullet.  Chris had to promise to watch it for the next several days. 

Last night wasn’t a particularly fun one.  I did sleep some, but it was not exactly a restful night.  My blood pressure this morning was 134 over 90.  Again, the second number is too high, so I’m still under careful observation by the nurses in my life (that would be Chris and Cailyn).  Not sure how much work I will get done today.  It’s taken me well over an hour just to get this typed.  I can see a nap in my near future.

Meanwhile, this story has taken on a whole new meaning for me: Matthew 7:3-5 says, “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?  You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.”

Father, thank you for keeping this particular metal plank out of my eye.  I know that’s not what you were talking about here, but sometimes the literal makes the symbolic really come to life.  Amen.

No comments: