Thursday, July 10, 2014

July 10 – “The Role”

Speaking of Cailyn, we took her to the library yesterday for a puppet show.  Honestly, I didn’t expect much.  In fact I almost stayed behind to keep working on Sunday’s service.  But I had been at it all day and really needed a break.  My mistake. 

The Puppet Lady was actually pretty good.  She was handling a roomful of youngsters with ease, and her interactions with the puppets really were funny.  Cailyn was laughing out loud most of the time.  And then the Puppet Lady asked for some adult volunteers.  No, I didn’t.  She selected four or five others who seemed anxious to participate, handed each of them a monkey puppet to operate, and placed them accordingly.  And I breathed a sigh of relief.  Little did I know that she was saving the most important role for last. 

She indicated that she needed one more adult volunteer.  Finally she revealed this person’s role.  It would be the Mama Monkey who called the doctor after one of her kids fell off the bed.  She even had a telephone prop.  Ah.  Now the story was sounding vaguely familiar.  She stared around the room for a second or two until her gaze rested on … me.  She pointed directly at me.  I didn’t move.  She nodded yes and said, “Yes.  I mean you.”  I still didn’t move.  It never occurred to me that I was in her sights.  After all, this was a female role.  Until she said, “You, sir.  The one with the cap.”  Wait.  She said, “Sir.”  That’s when it hit me.  I had been selected for the most coveted drama assignment of the day - Mama Monkey.  Must be my looks.  No way I could let Cailyn down, either.  So I somewhat reluctantly eased myself up from the floor and made my way to the front.

The skit itself was kind of fun, actually.  Puppet Lady beat on some kind of drum, and the kids sang the song.  All the other adults had to do was wiggle their monkey puppet charges.  I had to act out calling the doctor and then holding out the phone to the kids when they screamed out “No more jumping on the bed.”  Simple enough, right?  Well, I think the beat kind of got to me, or maybe I was just so intent on being the best DadDad I could be.  But I … well, I sort of got into the character.  Not that much, mind you.  Just a little dance step here and maybe a monkey hop there.  I couldn’t help myself.  Apparently my efforts didn’t go unnoticed. After that song the Puppet Lady had another brainstorm.  Seems her nearly-life-sized Lady Ape puppet was so carried away that she wanted to dance the hora with … well, me.  Now, I don’t know how to dance the hora.  Couldn’t disappoint the kids, though.  So I took the puppet-ape’s hand and we made up our own dance moves.  Chris videoed it.  As far as I know it hasn’t been released yet.  Anywhere.    

Psalms 47:1-2 says, “Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy.  How awesome is the Lord Most High, the great King over all the earth!”

Father, thank you yet again for the squeals of children’s laughter that certainly reflect your pure joy.  Amen.

 

1 comment:

daddypipes said...

Kelly, I was delinquent with your training while at Seaside. I remember your dancing when we played Lord of the Dance and I just assumed your multiculturalism. Just think back to your time at the kibbutz. Blessings, friend. BTW, keep Linnea in prayer. She is working with a church planting mission this week in Cali, Colombia.

Andy