Tuesday, July 29, 2014

July 29 – “Pharmacy versus Doctor’s Office”

Ah, the continuing saga of the pharmacy versus the doctor’s office.  Who really is to blame, anyway?  I ran out of two of the medications I am on over the weekend.  One is for rheumatoid arthritis and the other is for nerve pain from spinal stenosis and a bulging disk.  Boy, saying those two things in the same sentence sure makes me sound like I’m falling apart, doesn’t it?  And I didn’t even mention the concussion and its residual soreness.  One of the meds I did manage to pick up first thing Monday morning.  It was the one that is supposed to arrest or slow down the progression of the rheumatoid arthritis.  That one is difficult every time I refill it because I have to take so many of them.  Six a day.  It’s not hard for the pharmacy to get them, but they never keep that large a supply on hand.  So I try to give them a little heads up time before I need them.  That was all that happened with that one.  I just had to wait until they had enough.

But the other one was a bit of a different story.  When I picked up the first one I asked about the status of the other.  That one they needed to have approval from the doctor’s office before they refilled.  Fine.  I understand that process.  That’s why I called it in a week ahead of time.  They checked their records and told me they had faxed the request twice so far.  Once was back a week ago when I first called.  Then they did it again a few days after.  Still no response.  They assured me they would send yet another request right away.  When I got home I put in a call to the doctor’s office.  Sadly, it was 12:04 and they were out to lunch.  No phones answered until 1:15.  OK.  I then called back at 1:18 and explained my dilemma.  The receptionist transferred me to “the one in our office who handles that sort of thing.”  Wonderful.  I got her voice mail.  I left the detailed message she asked for and began the wait. 

About an hour later I got one of those automated calls from the pharmacy telling me that my medicine was ready, but if I have already picked it up, then never mind.  So you can understand my confusion.  Was it the one I just picked up that morning or was it the one I had called the doctor’s office about?  One of the options was to “press 4 if you would like to talk with a pharmacy staff representative.”  Why not?  I like the folks at the pharmacy.  One of them even goes to Seaside.  I explained my question, and the staffer told me that the call was about the one I had already picked up.  I heard him typing in the background, and he said, “Oh, wait.  I was just checking my email and one from your doctor literally just came through.  Yep.  That’s it.  Your approval.  We can have that for you in just a bit.”  That’ll work.

Later on that afternoon my phone rang yet again.  This time it was the doctor’s office, returning my call.  I waited to hear what she would say.  “It says here that we have already sent that approval.”  Yes you have.  Right after I called and left the message earlier.  I was nice, though.  I just said thank you very much.

I guess it’s kind of obvious wherein my loyalties lie.  I go with the pharmacy every time.  And why?  I mean, after all, the doctor went to school a lot longer than the pharmacist, didn’t he?  He certainly makes a lot more money.  What is it, then?  The answer to that one is not hard at all.  The pharmacist is here.  In Galveston.  Front line.  When I call, I can talk to her if I need to – the actual pharmacist and not a receptionist or a voice mail - at a moment’s notice.  I can watch as they check the computer.  I don’t even have to tell them who I am picking up prescriptions for.  The staff calls me by name.  They know about my family without checking my chart.  And I am not the only one.  They are personable with virtually every customer who walks up to the counter.  Oh, I’ll be patient with the doctor’s office.  After all, the approval does have to trudge its way through them.  But here’s kudos to the staff over at Randall’s Pharmacy.  Great to have you guys around.

Ephesians 4:31-32 says, “Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.  Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”

Father, thank you for the staff over at the pharmacy.  Bless them for the kindness they go out of their way to show.  And bless the staff at the doctor’s office as well.  They have a tough job, so show them some kindness along the way.  Amen. 

No comments: