Saturday, July 12, 2014

July 12 – “Not a terrible day”

OK.  Here’s a quick fishing report.  I had a window of a few hours yesterday, so I was determined to try to catch some fish.  Josh and his crew are planning to visit next month, so we have to get some fillets in the freezer for a big fish fry.  I had no problem getting bait.  It was early on a Friday morning, so the hordes of tourists hadn’t begun to arrive yet.  The water was pretty rough, but I decided to give wading a go anyway.  As long as I had enough weight on the line I should be able to get to the bottom where they hang out.  Of course I still had to deal with the mass of seaweed that is still invading the beaches, but again, with enough weight maybe I could stay beneath it. 

Nathan told me later on that going fishing early in the morning after a full moon often produces some eerie results.  I would say now that I kind of agree.  My first cast I caught pretty good size whiting.  Just as I expected.  Maybe this would be an OK day.  Other than the fact that I was getting pummeled by the waves and having to dig in to fight the strong eastward flowing current.  After clearing seaweed from the hook a time or two, I hooked a very nice speckled trout.  Now this could prove to be a profitable day after all.  Every cast I was getting at least a strong bite.  Of course I ran into a crop of hardhead catfish.  Nothing good about them other than they can sometimes, briefly, put up a good fight.  I caught one of those annoying lady fish that thought she was a tarpon, leaping from the water, trying to shake loose the hook.  She wasn’t successful, though, so I had to get it out for her and toss her back.  Two of the strongest fights were from sheepheads.  That’s the ones with teeth covering their entire mouth.  Not sharp teeth, mind you.  Kind of like a mouthful of molars.  Very strange.  I decided long ago not to mess with them.  They are big and all, but they just don’t have enough meat on them to warrant cleaning.  By far the best fight, thou came from the two black drum that I caught.  Both were nice size.  In fact Chris baked one up when I got home and we had it for lunch.  Good stuff.  So … I got a few more fillets for the fish fry and a fresh seafood lunch.  I guess you would say it was not a terrible day. 

Psalms 148:3-5 says, “Praise him, sun and moon, praise him, all you shining stars.  Praise him, you highest heavens and you waters above the skies.  Let them praise the name of the Lord, for he commanded and they were created.”

Father, thank you for the brief windows of opportunity you grant me for things like fishing.  I appreciate them.  And you.  Amen.

No comments: