Monday, July 14, 2014

July 14 – “The Unveiling”

So Cailyn spent a few nights with us this past weekend.  What can I say?  We are just the awesomest grandparents ever, and she can’t get enough of us, right?  Well, that and her Mom was on an out of town trip and her Daddy was on shift at the fire station. 

She arrived for her two-night stay with a heavy suitcase, a “Julie” doll (that’s some kind of special thing.  American Girl doll sound familiar?), a stuffed cow named Moo-Moo, a plastic horse almost as tall as she is (I still haven’t figured out that one’s name.  I’m pretty sure it’s a girl, though), a separate satchel with clothes for Julie, and a large, square box-like purse that I found out later was her make-up kit.  How old is this child, anyway?  There may have been more, but it took her and her Daddy to get it all in from the truck.  She hauled everything into the den and began the unloading process.  Oh, I guess she did manage a quick “See ya Daddy” moment in there before he left.  She was focused.

And by focused I mean, it was time to unload that suitcase.  And was I ever unprepared for what was inside.  Oh, there was the usual clothing, although I thought she may have gone just a little overboard.  There were shorts and t-shirts and underwear – enough for at least a week.  And she carefully lined each collection in a neat row in front of the TV.  But then she uncovered her two “outfits.”  I guess that must be female code for “dress.”  There were two of them.  She assured us one was for her to wear to church.  The other was for “if we have to go out anywhere.”  She was momentarily distracted from the fashion show when she came across a box of some kind.  It seemed to really excite her to show it to us.  And rightly so.  It was her very own jewelry box.  She already has quite the collection, especially of earrings.  I was fascinated by the box, myself.  No matter which way you turned it, there were drawers.  One had an old watch.  Another had a dollar bill.  She refused my immediate request for a loan though.  And when you opened the very top of the box, a ballerina popped up.  Sadly, the jewelry box adventure came to a rapid conclusion when she remembered the most important items yet to come. 

Her entire countenance seemed to change in an instant when she got to this final portion of her unpacking.  Her eyes lit up.  A kick of adrenaline surged through her veins.  A few final, obviously extraneous pieces of clothing were flung aside, and she abruptly sat back on her heels for a long moment.  She breathed a sigh of adoration as she took in the extraordinary sight that met her eyes.  By this time she certainly had my attention.  I couldn’t see whatever it was from my vantage point, but I was just praying that it wasn’t alive.  Slowly she reached in, as if the object of her admiration was more precious than the finest gold.  Even more slowly she raised them from their honored perch and held them up for all to see, to join her in her reverie.  And the object?  A pair of shoes.  Yep.  Sorry to break the mood, but I am a guy and, well, shoes?  Really?  Oh, but she wasn’t done yet.  As I shook my head and rubbed my eyes (yes, see, I had been afraid that I would miss something, so I had been on the edge of my seat, riveted by the mystery about to unfold.  That means I had been afraid to even blink.  And then for the “surprise” to be of such proportion, I was just … dumbfounded), she carefully placed those shoes to the side and reached in … for another pair.   And then … another.  And … another.  Before she was finished she had five different pair of shoes lined up next to her clothes, gazing adoringly at the array.  Shoes.  Aunt Christi, I do believe you have a kindred spirit down here.

Psalms 40:2 says, “He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.”

Father, thank you for your stability.  It’s great to know I can always trust you.  Amen.

No comments: