Friday, June 6, 2014

June 6 – “Most unique anniversary plans”

“Do you know what dangly means?”  How’s that for a conversation starter?  It’s what I got one morning last week when Cailyn was here waiting for us to give her a ride to school.  Not sure exactly how to answer, I replied with what has become a stock answer for Chris and me with her around, “I don’t know.  What does it mean?”  This one had no verbal answer though.  Instead she looked at me with her eyes as wide open as they could get (I’m sure that was part of the answer, by way).  Slowly she extended her hand, palm open, fingers toward the floor.  And when she was certain she had my undivided, rapt attention, she began to wiggle her fingers.  Apparently I didn’t react quickly enough, because she erupted into hysterical laughter and declared, “You don’t get it, DadDad.”  I … I … guess I didn’t.  Still don’t.  But, hey, why not join in the fun?  I laughed along with her and then added, “You know what?  You … are … DANGLY.”  More peals of laughter.  It was funny.  Not sure why.

Well, Cailyn is back today.  And it is adventure time.  We are heading for Waco this morning, and she is coming with us.  Tomorrow is Zak’s birthday party, and Kel’s crew is supposed to be there as well.  A gathering of the cousins somewhere other than at Nani and DadDad’s house.  Wouldn’t miss this for the world.  Cailyn is so excited she can hardly stand it.  When she found out that she was going to go she was in shock.  She queried, “I’ve never been all the way to Waco.  Is it like going to California?”  Well, not exactly.  But let’s keep it an adventure into the unknown, shall we?  We are coming back tomorrow, but it will be worth the trip.  I can’t think of a more unique way to celebrate our 39th wedding anniversary, can you?  Note the careful selection of words here.  I didn’t say “better,” just “more unique.”  Gotta love that wife of mine.  Let’s go for 39 more, shall we?

Proverbs 31:10-11 says, “A wife of noble character who can find?  She is worth far more than rubies.  Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.”

Father, thank you for my wife and for the 39 years of experiences we have shared together.  What a great gift.  Amen.

No comments: