Wednesday, June 18, 2014

June 18 – “Out of the Zone”

Boy, was I ever treated to a special anniversary lunch yesterday.  Totally unexpected, too.  I was intently poring over the last few church group devotions and just beginning the group quiet times for camp.  I have to say I was oblivious to just about everything around me.  This camp preparation is about like preparing 16 sermons in less than a week.  And once I get involved in it, it is really hard for me to pull away until I come to a clear stopping place.  And even then, I’m always afraid that I will forget the train of thought that I was riding on at the time.  So I have to plan ahead for the stops, which means even more time and effort.  It’s a good thing camp is so worth it to the kids going. 

So while I was in that zone, Chris announced that lunch was ready.  Actually she announced first, “OK.  You are done.”  That was kind of different.  Not that I didn’t appreciate it.  I had reached my personal point of satiation where I wasn’t actually accomplishing anything anyway.  She probably caught me in one of my moments of rubbing my eyes.  Speaking of which, I think I may be on the downside of the respiratory thing, but the itchy, watery eyes and cough are still hanging around.  So as quickly as I could I wrapped up preparations for pausing so I could remember where I was.  But I sure didn’t expect what was for lunch.  Now I know Nathan and April brought over steaks and grilled them the day before.  Hard to top that.  But Chris had prepared chicken enchilada pie.  It’s a casserole-type dish that is far and away my favorite.  It’s the one I choose when I get a choice.  Scrumptious.  And none of the boys were here to share it with.  Yep.  They love it, too.  Even Josh.  So I was able to have some for supper, and I’ll probably grab some more for lunch today. 

Father’s Day week, day one, my calls from the boys.  Day two, steak and a really cool book of “Old School Ways to Remember Stuff.”  Can’t wait to finish that one.  Day three, chicken enchilada pie.  Not bad at all.  Wonder what’s in store for today? 

Psalms 28:7 says, “The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.  My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.”

Father, please figure out some way to use these group times and quiet times next week to impact the lives of Kara and Jason and Espy and Grace.  Amen.

No comments: