Sunday, June 1, 2014

June 1 – “A Rainy Day Fire”

My rainy day, last day of May proved to be quite eventful on the one hand and extremely unfruitful on the other.  Classic case of taking what life throws at you, I guess.

The eventful part happened in the morning when I heard a structure fire call.  Actually I heard the sirens outside first and realized I hadn’t turned on my fire call application yet.  It took a few minutes and a quick text to the chief to verify the location, but it sounded like a pretty big fire, so I changed into my fire department clothes and headed over.  There was a secondary reason for my concern.  A mention on the radio of the possible presence of racing fuel reminded me that one of the young men who used to attend Seaside Christian Academy lived in that area.  And his Dad was a professional race car driver.  It definitely upped my sense of urgency in this case. 

By the time I arrived the fire fighters had knocked down most of the flames, but there was still plenty of smoke so the incident was most assuredly not over.  Virtually every fire fighting apparatus on the Island was in play somehow.  The volunteers in Jamaica Beach were called into service to help cover the West End, and I understand they had several calls to respond to during the fire, and I know they handled them with efficiency and professionalism.  Always proud of those Jamaica Beach guys.  All but three or four of the Galveston on duty guys were involved in the fire itself, rotating in and out of the structure with hoses, operating the pumps on the trucks, and pulling out portions of the wall and ceiling to uncover hotspots.  Several of the rookies were involved, fighting their first big fire and “getting baptized” so to speak into the “real world of fire fighting” that they signed up for.  They all performed admirably, though.  Perhaps the best praise I could offer would be that it was hard to tell the rookies from the old pros when they all had bunker gear on.  They were all acting as one unit to get the job done.  That’s why you never hear of one guy getting elected MVP of the fire.  Oh, there’s always some good-natured teasing when someone gets his picture in the paper, but it’s never about one guy with the fire department.  Like the musketeers, I guess.  “All for one and one for all.” 

The captain in charge (or is a battalion chief now?  I still haven’t learned all the new promotions.  Sorry, Mike) did a great job directing the teams and calling in ladders and ordering a vent hole cut in the roof.  And as I said, the guys carrying out those orders were skilled at what they do and efficient in execution.  My favorite order of the day, though came when one of the guys was taking a breather and getting some water.  He had removed his bunker jacket to cool down, and one of the chiefs told him, “Make sure you get that shirt tucked in.”  The weary firefighter looked up questioningly and slowly reached for his shirt, instinctively obeying the order, until his eyes met the grin on the face of the chief.  A brief moment of connection that said, “I know what you are going through.  I’ve been there.  I’m proud of you.”  Gotta love that encouragement style. 

I did have a chance to talk to the young man who lived in the house.  He was not at home when the fire began, and no one else was in the house, either, so that was a blessing.  He was still in a little bit of shock, but his grandfather was there with him, and his neighbors were offering support and assistance in any way they could.  One of the neighbors even brought over some water for the fire fighters.  Thank you again, whoever you were.  I had a chance to pray with the young man as he waited to meet with an insurance agent.  He has a long road ahead of him. 

Another of my favorite moments came after the fire was out.  I talked for a while with two of the fire fighters.  Josh made it a point to mention what a lucky man he was to have snagged the wife he did.  Always the perfect husband-ly thing to say, and she wasn’t even around to hear it.  And Jeremy could talk of nothing but the impending birth of what he now knew was a son.  I asked if they had a name picked out yet.  He answered, but I didn’t hear him right, so he was quick to correct me.  “No, his name is Easton.  Like the baseball bat.”  I understood immediately when he said that.  Can’t wait to meet him, Jeremy.  Another of the guys was injured after I left.  I saw his wife’s post on FaceBook of him in a sling.  Take care of yourself, Jared. 

I did mention an unfruitful portion of the day.  That took place in the afternoon.  And on and on and on into the night.  I’m still trying to get my computer to recognize my iPhone again.  Spent a few hours with Apple, another thirty minutes or so with Microsoft, and up until 11:30 with HP.  It sounds like the whole problem is HP’s issue, but he hadn’t yet solved it when I finally told him I had to go to sleep.  We are supposed to pick back up sometime today.  We’ll see how that goes.  I think I need a few hours of worship and a few hours of sleep.  Unfortunately I can’t combine the two like some people can when they go to church.  I can’t sleep through the sermon.  I have to be the guy that puts them to sleep. 

Ecclesiastes 3:1-3 says, “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build”

Father, Jeff faces that time of tearing down and rebuilding with his house now.  Give him wisdom beyond his years to deal with the hassles that are sure to arise.  Thank you for the support of his neighbors and the calming presence of his grandfather.  And thank you once again for watching over the fire fighters as they did their job.  And, please heal Jared quickly so he can return to the trenches.  Amen.

No comments: