Monday, June 16, 2014

June 16 – “Shifting Modes”

I received my Father’s Day phone calls from all three of my boys yesterday.  All at different times, so I could focus on each one.  Of course I know when (well, if) they read this they will start trying to figure out who called first so they can claim “best son” status.  Ain’t brotherly competition grand?  It’s great to hear from them any time.  I get an addede treat today.  Nathan and April and Cailyn have invited me for a Day After Father’s Day lunch.  Gotta eat, right?  I forgot to ask if I could bring along a “plus one.”  Surely they won’t mind Chris coming, too.  Dad Mode still engaged.

We had a blast from the past show up at church yesterday.  Boyd and Jane Chipman were members at Seaside several years ago before they moved away to the far-off mainland.  They were spending the weekend in their camper trailer at one of the trailer parks, so they decided to pop in for a visit.  Lots of fun, that couple is.  One time they single-handedly (well, I guess it would be double-handedly since both of them were involved) provided all the fish for a fish fry fundraiser.  Without a doubt one of the best ones we have ever had.  They stayed for dinner-on-the-grounds and we had a lot of time to catch up.  Nostalgia Mode intact.

I have to be ready at the drop of a hat to rush off to the church this morning.  We tried to have some water delivered last Friday, but they forgot to call me to let me know they were on their way.  Chris and I finally just headed out to the church to wait for them, but our secretary called as we were on our way to let us know they wouldn’t be there.  Seems they came by and couldn’t find anyone so they just left.  They were very apologetic, and assured us that they would call next time.  Well today is next time.  Hope that little detail is covered today.  Pastor Mode on standby.

I did make it through the teaching Sunday with my voice relatively intact.  Only had to stop once to replenish my cough drop.  I finally moved to the couch last night, after my third coughing spell, so I wouldn’t wake Chris up.  It helped some being able to keep myself propped up.  And I did get two more crossword puzzles done.  Oh, and the sound of rain on the flat roof of our den is particularly soothing at 3:30 a.m. I am sure praying this stuff runs its course before we have to leave for camp.  Yikes.  That is this Sunday morning.  Guess it’s time to shift into Camp Mode. 

Hmm.  Dad Mode.  Camp Mode.  DadDad Mode.  Husband Mode.  Nostalgia Mode.  I think I’ve figured out why people think I’m a little crazy.  I just get my modes mixed up sometimes. 

Titus 3:4-7 says, “But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.”

Father, you are a master at the whole shifting modes thing.  Thank you for shifting just enough so we could get to know you, and then shifting again so we could be assured that you will never leave us.  Amen.

No comments: