Friday, June 20, 2014

June 20 – “Disclaimer”

I thought I’d go ahead and make my annual camp disclaimer statement today.  We will be leaving early Sunday morning for youth camp in Glorieta, New Mexico.  Because of issues they sometimes have with the internet up there, there may be days I have no service and will not be able to post my blog.  In fact one year I had no service all week.  I will still be jotting down my thoughts and activities, though, and I will post them as soon as service becomes available.  Oh, and more than likely the posts will come in the form of poetry.  Well, it’s supposed to sound like poetry.  Actually it will be lyrics to a song I write every year.  The tune is the old camp favorite – time to wax nostalgic here – “I’m a Nut.”  You can probably find someone brave enough to sing it over on youtube.  I start out with the original verses (that will most likely be the post for Sunday or Monday morning), then I add tidbits about the week’s adventures or misadventures, roughly following the same metrical pattern.  I make mention of each student at some point, and last year I included one-verse summaries of the main teachings for each day (now that proved to be challenging).  Oh, and did I mention that I actually sing the song?  I use it as the alarm clock for the group on our first and last days together.  Can you imagine how gloriously blessed the kids feel when they are treated to the melodious sound of my voice wafting through the air and gently invading the world of their dreams?  Well, OK.  Those who have actually been there don’t tend to use words like “blessed” or “melodious” or “gently.”  I have heard things like “Oh, no” and “Turn it off” and “Hit the snooze button,” though.  But I know that was just their teenage way of saying thank you and expressing their utmost love and appreciation for my time and energy.  Ah.  Memories.  I can’t wait to make some more.

Psalms 63:6-8 says, “On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night.  Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.  My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.”

Father, thank you for the many years of memories that I do have from the camp experience.  Would you call some of those years to the minds of the students who have been as well?  Give them a glance of the closeness they felt with you during those times.  Create in them a yearning to return to you.  Amen.

No comments: