Sunday, October 6, 2013

October 6 – “Coolest Geek”

Well, it feels like winter has arrived here on the Island.  That means the cold front came through and our temperatures are now below 70 degrees.  Looks like we got all the way down to 64 last night.  Islanders … get out those winter coats.  Actually, it feels great outside.  Of course I am speaking as one who almost passed out from the heat while doing yard work yesterday.  I was trying to get everything done in case it rained again.  As it turned out we didn’t get any rain, but the cool air did arrive as scheduled. 

I spent part of the afternoon with another fire fighter family who lost a loved one suddenly.  I called to offer my condolences, and Jim, the fire fighter, said the family was over discussing what to include in the memorial service.  In fact, just minutes before I called they had come to the conclusion that since none of them really knew a local pastor, they would just ask the funeral home for a list.  What a coincidence.  Nah.  They saw right away that God was at work in my call.  They asked me to officiate the memorial service for his next Saturday.  Since they were all together anyway, I offered to run over there and meet everybody.  Great family group.  Very diverse and they seem to be lots of fun.  I assured them that they were doing the right thing in remembering stories and shearing them with each other.  Even though the death was unexpected, I think they will band together and get through the mourning just fine.  I wish I had had a chance to meet the guy who died.  Sounds like he was quite a fun character himself.  I know my son Kel would have enjoyed meeting him.  This guy went to Comicon every chance he got.  He loved to dress up in a wide variety of costumes, but especially enjoyed the Renaissance Festival.  And apparently his house was a museum of models and action figures.  I saw pictures of a full-sized Terminator robot and that robot from Space Family Robinson that was known for his famous line, “Danger, Will Robinson.”  He also made a duplicate key for the time machine from the movie of the same name.  He gave his key to Bob Burns, the guy who built the machine for the movie, and now it is on display next to the machine itself in that guy’s home.  His son told me that his dad was “the coolest geek I ever met.”

My only concern is that Luke could be making his appearance virtually any time now.  We have almost reached the realm of delivery that Christi is known for, so I hope the little guy shows up either before or after next Saturday.  After would be the ideal choice, Little Man.  Grow a little more before you come see us.

Psalms 115:1 says, “Not to us, O Lord, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness.”

Father, walk with this family through their grief this week.  Oh, and we are ready for your timing on Luke’s arrival.  Don’t mind us.  Amen.

No comments: