Friday, October 18, 2013

October 18 – “Home sweet home”

Check out this interchange we witnessed while at Josh and Christi.  No, she has not delivered yet.  At least they haven’t called us yet. 

I don’t remember how the interchange began exactly, but I’m pretty sure it went something like this:
Christi: “Where would you want to travel – to see something that has already happened (the past) or something that hasn’t happened (the future)?”

Ever the impulsive younger brother, Caleb declared: “I want to go to the past.”

Nodding encouragingly, Christi further queried: “What do you want to see there?”

Ever the helpful older brother with all the answers, Zak offered: “He wants to see dinosaurs.”

Who could argue with that?  Sounded good to Caleb: “Yea, I want to see dinosaurs.”

Wanting to see how far his inquisitiveness would extend, and knowing Caleb’s affinity for Texas history, I heard Christi mention the Alamo.  So I pressed: “Do you want to go to the Alamo?”

Not denying his fondness for the site, Caleb was nonetheless a bit confused and concerned that we would even bring up such a sacred arena.  He patiently explained: “The Alamo still exist-es.  I can go there now.”

Ah, yes.  Indeed you can.  Why waste a perfectly good time travel when it’s available right down the road in San Antonio?  It sounded like a four-year-old version of “Been there.  Done that.”

And, ever the diligent schoolteacher and Mom, Christi was concerned that Zakary be a part of the discussion.  So she asked: “How about you, Zakary?”

Perhaps a bit embarrassed by the sudden attention, or maybe because he is just naturally humble, Zak shyly answered: “I don’t want to travel anywhere.  I want to stay here.”

I understand, Zak.  There’s a lot to be said for good ol’ home sweet home.  Even when it’s been home for just a few weeks. 

Psalms 84:3-4 says, “Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young — a place near your altar, O Lord Almighty, my King and my God.  Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you.”

Father, thank you for providing Zak and Caleb and Luke (and their parents, of course) with a place to call home.  Oh, and thanks for your hand in selling their house in San Antonio.  That was a load off of all of our minds.  Amen.

No comments: