Sunday, October 13, 2013

October 13 – “Live Long and Prosper”

The memorial service I officiated went really well yesterday.  I know it sounds trite to say it, but this one turned into a real celebration.  One of the family members led things off with a beautiful song even though she was suffering from a sore throat.  She did an admirable job.  When we got to the share time, one guy read a poem that had been written by another relative.  It was funny and poignant all at the same time.  A nephew read yet another poem, but after that things slowed down quite a bit.  That is, until one lady stood up and pretty much scolded the crowd for not opening up.  She told them that she for one wanted to hear what they had to say, no matter what it was, because she loved the guy and the remembrances really did encourage her.  The stunned silence at the reprimand lasted only briefly, but the purpose had been served.  More and more folks stood to recount favorite personal experiences. 

Many mentioned Steve’s love for Star Trek and all things sci-fi.  His penchant for dressing up in Hollywood-quality costumes came up, as did his enjoyment of Comic-Con and the Renaissance Festival every year.  His own personal museum of sci-fi collectibles came up, including his life-sized Terminator robot and the robot from Swiss Family Robinson.  I particularly enjoyed the tale of the alligator.  Seems that Steve had at one time adopted a baby alligator.  He wasn’t as careful as he should have been while feeding it, though, and often had to wait for it to let go of his finger.  When questioned as to what he intended to do when the little one grew up, he replied, “Oh, I hadn’t thought of that.”  I’m not sure what finally became of that alligator.  Not sure I want to find out. 

As the service wound to a close, the final song played over the loudspeaker was something like “Mama, I’m coming home” by Ozzy Ozbourne.  Interesting choice, but it certainly caused another round of stirred memories among the friends and family.  After I pronounced the traditional blessing, I invited everyone to the barbeque meal that was to follow, as I had been instructed.  Finally, I couldn’t stand it, so I added, “In the spirit of this particular occasion … Live long and prosper.”  Of course with my fingers in proper Spock double-V formation. 

Now that was a service truly tailored to the life and loves of the deceased.  I don’t think I’ll forget that one for a long time.

Psalms 116:7 says, “Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the Lord has been good to you.”

Father, continue to walk with that family through their own particular valleys.  Draw them to yourself in the process.  Amen.

No comments: