Saturday, October 12, 2013

October 12 – “Uncle Andy Eyes”

We are going to have to watch who Cailyn is allowed to spend time with.  She had something new to show us yesterday.  No, it was not, as might be expected, something she picked up at school from watching the other children.  Sticking out her tongue or questionable hand gestures are things we would have expected from a four-year-old.   That would have been easy to deal with.  But this was rather strange, eerie even. 

She excitedly announced first to Chris that she had something to show her.  After seeing it Chris assured her that this was something she needed to show DadDad, so they joined me in the office for an encore presentation.  Crouching low with her feet spread apart, left shoulder back, head turned toward us, she slowly brought her right hand up to her face.  With her hand in the classic “vee” position, she very slowly and quite gracefully, I might add, started from around her left ear and slithered the vee shape across her eyes, ending with a flip of the wrist, the fingers coming together, and a definitive point in our direction.  All in all it was a sultry, daring, and somewhat intimidating move. 

Of course we asked her where in the world she ever saw something like that, and her answer was rapid and matter-of-fact.  “Oh, that is my ‘Uncle Andy Eyes.’  He makes me do this.”  Uh-huh.  Uncle Andy.  Makes you do this.  I think we need to have little talk with Uncle Andy.  Oh, by the way, for those of you who don’t know Uncle Andy … He is a good friend of Nathan’s who works with him at the fire department.  Uncle Andy only has boy children around his house.  You know, football, belching, horseplay.  Where he learned that move is somewhat of a mystery, I suppose.  Maybe watching too many John Travolta 70’s movies.  Or maybe it’s Uncle Andy’s wife, Mrs. Katie we need to be talking to.  Cailyn did mention that she couldn’t wait to show her the pencil she got at school.  Why?  “Because it has skulls on it and Mrs. Katie loves skulls.”  Ah, well.  I guess I’ll just go with the flow.  I’ve been practicing the move to use as a special greeting the next time I see Uncle Andy.  And as far as the skull-loving Mrs. Katie goes ... I need some time to think about that one. 

Psalms 116:6 says, “The Lord protects the simplehearted; when I was in great need, he saved me.”

Father, thank you for the friends you have placed in our kids’ lives.  Fill them with fun and wisdom and joy and love.  You never know the true extent of the effect you have on a kid’s life.  Amen.

No comments: