Friday, October 4, 2013

October 4 – “Slow down”

Water therapy yesterday was a major cardio event.  Not a heart attack or anything, just a really strong aerobic kind of workout.  The bottom line was, it really wore me out, but it really felt good.  It is still odd to be hanging out with my old biology teacher.  Especially when he talks about the students he used to teach.  So far he’s only gone as far back as when he was at Galveston College, and he hasn’t said anything specific or bad about anybody yet.  But if he ever gets to reminiscing about his Ball High days, it could get really fun. 

I had to make a Wal Mart run after therapy.  I was glad that I didn’t need any Claritin-D this time.  Last time I went in they told me I can’t buy Claritin-D anymore because I have reached my “limit for the year.”  That’s the first time I have ever heard that one.  Those of us who take one a day for allergies have to put up with those kinds of limitations because the “D” part is apparently also used by meth labs.  Guess Chris will have to do Claritin-D purchasing for the rest of the year. 

Now back to WalMart.  For some odd reason I made a conscious effort to take my time.  That made for a strange experience indeed.  I waited for the little old lady to make her way slowly around a stocker who was frantically trying to get out of the line of traffic.  I assured her that I was in no hurry, so we both took a deep breath and grinned at the lady as she rounded the bend.  I think she was happy to have the chance to feel unhurried for a change.  Then when I went to the checkout stand, I purposely chose one where I would have to wait.  As it turned out there was a little toddler girl in the cart in front of me who was flirting with me between gulps of her sippy cup.  It’s always more fun to interact with others of the less-than-mature ilk.  Makes me feel like I’m not alone.  We waved back and forth a few times before I realized that her Daddy was one of the young fire fighters here in town.  So I had a chance to say hello to him as well.  Very cute kid, Mike.  The checker was one I had never met before, so I complimented her on her masterful handling of the new check-out stands they just installed.  She said she still reaches for things where they used to be, but generally speaking she approved of the change.  And she actually seemed quite sincere when she wished me a good day.  All in all it was a pleasant trip.  I might try that whole slow-down thing again.

Psalms 37:7 says, “Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.”

Father, help me rediscover what it means to be still.  All this life-wiggling can sure make a person tired.  Amen.

No comments: