Wednesday, October 23, 2013

October 23 – “A million dollar idea”

We had some visitors late yesterday afternoon.  Kel is at a conference somewhere up near San Antonio, so Christina brought the boys and Noa over.  She also brought a lasagna for supper, always a plus.  Actually she dropped the lasagna off on her way to the library so Chris could get it going in the oven while they browsed.  I was outside at that point pulling up some stickerburs, and Josiah wanted to join me, but his Mom convinced him that he would have another opportunity when they returned.

They did indeed return just in time for a hearty meal.  And not long after the last bite Josiah remembered the promise.  He was ready to do some exploring outside over in 40 Steps.  That’s his name for the vacant lot next door, that wonderland of dirt and rocks and hidden treasures that is every little boy’s dream play site.  I joined him and Micah for a stint of treasure hunting and creative frolicking.  I was intrigued watching Micah at one point.  He had a large piece of rock or something in his hand, and he was scraping it along the dirt, forming what appeared to be a large roughly diamond-shaped image on the ground.  When the last lines finally met, he called me over to see his masterpiece.  As I arrived, he took up a position at one corner of the diamond.  Without saying a word, he mimicked grabbing something with both hands, whipped them across his body and took off running along the crooked lines.  Of course.  It was a miniature baseball diamond.  I cheered him on as he rounded the bases and scored a home run. 

After a few more at-bats and a dozen or so found shells and interesting rocks, we went back into the house to “check on Mommy.”  It didn’t take Josiah long, though, before he was bored with playing with inside toys and watching Jachin read his graphic novel version of the Iliad.  Fascinating stuff, these graphic novels.  Everyone thinks they are such an exciting new invention, but I looked over Jachin’s shoulder a time or two.  That book was very similar to the old Classics Illustrated series of comic books.  I experienced more than a few of the old masters that way myself.  Keep on reading, Jachin.  Back to Josiah, though.  He approached me about joining him back outside. 

Josiah: “DadDad, would you like to come back outside to 40 Steps with me?”
Yes, he really does talk like that.  Impressive manners, huh?
Me: “But there are too many mosquitoes out there.  I don’t want to feed them any more of my legs.”
He stared at my legs as he pondered that image for a long few seconds.  Suddenly his eyes lit up and a wide grin spread across his face.  It was obvious he had found just the answer for my reticence.
Josiah: “We can feed them ant poo.”
Yes, he really did say that.  I was impressed with his creativity, I must say.  I can’t say as I have ever seen a mosquito sucking blood from an ant.  I didn’t give in too easily, though. 
Me: “If I knew they would eat ant poo, I would for sure go outside with you.”
The wheels started to turn again in his mind, and I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see how he would answer that one.  But his Mom made the “time to go” declaration, so his energies had to refocus on figuring out how he would answer her.  Guess I’ll have to do some investigating on the pest control possibilities of ant excrement.  Hey, I could end up a millionaire.

Psalms 118:14 says, “The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.”

Father, I never cease to be amazed at the creative power of the unfettered childhood mind.  Help me regain some of that.  Amen.

No comments: