Friday, October 11, 2013

October 11 – “Nesting”

Boy, do I ever have a sore leg.  My calf just below my knee has been really hurting for the last few days.  Guess I stretched it a little too far at water therapy on Tuesday.  Problem there is, the water is heated, so I didn’t even know it at the time.  Or maybe it happened when I was digging up stickerburs on Wednesday.  Is that even possible?  Seems like I should be able to point to the moment of injury.  Ah, well.  It seems some better this morning, and I was able to do all the exercises at water therapy yesterday.  And that’s saying a lot, since it was the day of the tough instructor who loves “getting your heart rate up.”  I always get more out of her sessions.  Just the old athlete in me coming out.  I actually feel tired after her workouts.  Problem is, she told us she will be gone for the next three weeks.  She is in school at UTMB and something has changed in her rotation.  She now has to work nights, so she values the little bit of sleep she does manage to slip into her schedule.  That whole sleep thing pushes our class to the back burner.  Far be it for me to be a part of withholding sleep from anyone.  We will be fine without her.  In fact some of the class members will be ecstatic for the break from her aerobic-heavy style. 

We still haven’t received the call from Josh and Christi that Luke is on his way.  I’m praying that the little dude holds out until after the memorial service I have on Saturday afternoon.  Josh told us yesterday that Christi presented him with a “Must-do-this-weekend To-do list.”  Sounds like it had things on it like packing hospital suitcases and setting up cribs.  That must have something to do with that murky, hard-to-define, pre-birth concept called nesting.  It’s that time before the baby comes when the mother is driven into a flurry (or sometimes a fury) of getting everything just right for the arrival of her new offspring.  Doesn’t bode well for Josh’s days off.  And I don’t think dealing with their new-found plumbing issues even made the list.  Hang in there, Son.

Christi keeps assuring Josh and Chris and I guess anyone who asks that she feels great, and she actually looks pregnant this go-around.  With the other two it was hard to tell.  All reports are good from the doctor, though, so it is just waiting time.  Another one of those spiritual lessons that no one is ever excited to live through – waiting on God’s timing.  Sigh.

Psalms 116:5 says, “The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion.”

Father, the Vaughan family could use some patience over the next few days.  Oh, and maybe a plumber.  Amen.

No comments: