Sunday, September 8, 2013

September 8 – “Battle of the Badges”

I went to my first Battle of the Badges last night.  It is an event where representatives from the different fire, EMS, sheriff, and police departments in the county square off in boxing matches.  It was held at Moody Gardens Convention Center, and all the proceeds went to charities such as the Wounded Warrior Project and Boys and Girls Club.  It has been going on for several years now, but this was the first chance I have had to attend. 

I got there pretty early.  The floor of the Convention Center was arranged with the ring in the center, of course.  Around it were tables set up for the many local dignitaries who were there as well as, I’m sure, for those who contributed a little extra to the event.  Nathan was going to be involved in the honor guard that was starting the whole thing off.  I guess because I was with him, or maybe because the event coordinator was fire department Captain Williams and he recognized me as the chaplain, I was allowed to accompany Nathan “back stage.”   I just wandered around for a while, acting like I knew what I was doing.  I talked to Seasider Mike Bell, who was taking pictures for the sheriff department, and Tonya from the fire department.  The building was filling up rapidly, though, so I made my way out of the VIP area and into the realm of the “normal folks” so I could find a seat.  I hadn’t been there long before a few of the fire department guys sat nearby to enjoy the event. 

The honor guard started the event by presenting the American flag, Texas flag, and flags of each department involved in the event.  A police officer also carried a rifle.  Nathan carried the fire department ceremonial ax.  Behind them marched a soldier.  Once they were in place an eleven-year-old girl sang a rousing rendition of the National Anthem.  Quite a powerful voice for such a small kid.  Then the soldier marched to a bell and rang three sets of five in honor of those officers and fire fighters who had been killed in the line of duty over the last year.  A slide show provided the names of the honorees while the bell rang.  That was quite moving and very well done.  Galveston Fire Department’s own Anastacio Urbina coordinated the honor guard segment, and he did a tremendous job.  Couldn’t have had a better kick off to the event.

And finally the matches began.  Actually, in some cases the matches were almost anticlimactic after the choreographed entrances of the individual fighters as they were introduced.  Some, like GFD’s Ryan, just made a simple walk down the ramp, preferring to show his prowess in the ring.  Others, though, made me feel like I was at a pro wrestling match.  One guy was preceded by a trio of girls in cowgirl attire doing one of those cowboy dances.  When he entered he was flanked by a team of guys in cowboy hats, his entourage.  The flashiest one I saw, though, was started by the announcer pointing out a really big bearded guy dressed in a long, flowing robe.  He had a girl slung over his shoulder, and he was carrying her all around the arena.  The announcer identified him as a “terrorist who has kidnapped someone,” and indicated that it would take a real hero to save her.  About that time a squad of four or five guys dressed in combat fatigues and carrying rifles with laser scopes appeared on the entrance ramp.  They were on patrol searching for that terrorist.  Meanwhile, the terrorist pushed his captive into the center of the ring.  Then the soldiers had him in their sights, laser dots lighting up his forehead and chest.  Suddenly, from the sky right above the bad guy, the next fighter rappelled down from the ceiling on a cable, head-first, and knocked the terrorist to the ground.  After unbuckling from his harness, he kicked the gad guy out of the ring.  The hero had arrived.  See what I mean about the bout being anticlimactic?  I have no idea who one that one. 

The fire department guys made a great showing.  Schaefer won his bout hands down.  Kirsner had a bit harder time, though.  He was doing quite well at first, but you could tell when his arms began to give out.  It has to be incredibly draining physically, even though the rounds only lasted one minute.  I had to leave before Rico came out, but I heard he was pretty dominant as well.  I’m sure the whole thing lasted until well after midnight, but this old guy can’t last that long any more without an afternoon nap. 

The event made the papers in a big way this morning.  The honor guard had a great photo.  Schaefer was in there, blocking a blow to the head.  Kirsner was in there, too, but his photo was ... well ... not all that flattering.  I guess the bouts lasted beyond press time, because I still am not sure if the red or blue team won.  But that doesn’t matter anyway, right?  The GFD guys handled themselves admirably.  I was sure proud of them.  And the event was a rousing success for all the charities involved.

Psalms 109:1 says, “O God, whom I praise, do not remain silent”

Father, thank you for watching over those guys last night.  And thank you for the spirit of camaraderie that prevailed.  Amen.

No comments: