Sunday, September 1, 2013

September 1 – “A revelation moment”

I had one of those revelation moments yesterday.  I intended to spend the day relaxing in front of the computer and TV screens, maybe going over the sermon for today a few times (which I did, by the way), probably watching at least some of the A&M football game (since the inaugural Houston Baptist University football game against Sam Houston State University would not be televised.  Two such football powerhouses would certainly have overtaxed the resources of any television station).  Before the football game came on, though, I went out in the backyard to see what Chris was doing.  She often gets lost in yardwork back there.  The results are always fantastic, but the work she does leading up to it always leaves me in awe.  I am especially amazed at her ability to “see” what it is going to look like a season or two before it actually comes to pass with blooms and everything. 

She was clearing out some of the extraneous branches from the blue-hangy-down-flower vine-like thing that covers most of our back fence.  What?  You didn’t expect me to remember the name of it, did you?  Non-essential information.  Its branches had begun to take over more than just the fence.  They were creeping along the ground and grasping through the air to hang onto anything in its path.  Some of the other flowers were getting overrun by the aggressive interloper.  Even our big palm tree back there had streamers mingling with the palm branches.  It wouldn’t do for that to happen.  It might affect my stock for making Palm Sunday crosses.  Of course you know where all this is going, right?  What could I do as the wonderful, loving, caring, do-anything-for-my-wife husband that I am?  I pitched in.  I took one area of fence and, carefully following orders, began to pull and cut and rip away those long, skinny intruders as well as overgrown grass and weeds located in between our chain link fence and the neighbor’s privacy fence.  That six-in gap between the two has become no-man’s land.  It can’t be reached with a weedeater.  We can’t really put weedkillers in there because it will affect the precious prettiness of the garden.  I can get my finger through about half-way, so there is always about three inches of weed/grass growth that simply jeers and taunts me despite my best efforts.  And yesterday was no different.  I endured unspeakable plant heckling compounded by the ever-rising heat index.  Sweat poured from my furrowed brow, but I pressed on, pulling and tugging and snipping.  Chris finally forced me to stop for the day, but sadly, I was not quite finished with the strip of fence I was working on.  Dejected, I resigned myself to accept defeat this time.  But in the spirit of sport, I further resolved to get the job done when next we met, whenever that may be. 

I suppose Chris was happy with my efforts.  I was certainly impressed by hers.  The flower bed, as always, looks amazing.  And, as always, I stand in awe at her foresight.  Oh, yes.  The revelation moment.  As we toiled side by side (sort of), I realized that there is not much I enjoy more than doing just about anything as long as it is together with my wife.  Even getting sweaty and dirty and exhausted and defeated by long, skinny, green tendrils.  It’s all about the company. 

Psalms 108:1 says, “My heart is steadfast, O God; I will sing and make music with all my soul.”

Father, thank you for the incredible gift of a companion who makes the hardest work an opportunity to enjoy being together.  Amen.

No comments: