Thursday, September 5, 2013

September 5 – “Training”

I made a hospital visit yesterday to check in on a lady who just had some heart surgeries. She had a stent out in late last week, and then Tuesday had a pacemaker installed.  Pretty serious stuff.  I found her in the intensive care unit, but she was sitting up in a chair watching TV when I arrived.  Her doctors had told her she might go home that day, but then her blood pressure jumped up, so they were adjusting medications to make sure they had a handle on it.  She was in great spirits, though.  And as it turned out, the blood pressure stabilized and she was released in the afternoon.  Great news for that family.

When I arrived at the hospital I saw one of the fire engines in the driveway.  After I parked it was still around, but none of the fire fighters was there, so I put one of my chaplain business cards in the window to show them I was thinking about them.  Haven’t heard back on whether they found it or not.  When I left the hospital, the engine was gone, so I stopped by that station.  They must have had another call, though.  Or maybe they just saw me coming and were ditching me. 

I drove by the central station and saw a group of the guys doing some training, so I stopped in to watch that for a while.  Nathan had come by, too, but he couldn’t help himself.  He had jumped right in and was in the middle of everything, helping set up, teach and encourage.  Each guy had to dress in full bunker gear, wear a blacked out mask to simulate smoky conditions in a fire, and crawl through a maze that had been set up.  The scenario was that they had received a distress call from another fire fighter who had become tangled in some wires.  They had to crawl through a bunch of wires hanging down with loops and twists in them that often got caught on arms, legs and equipment.  They had to use wirecutters to free themselves and make it through a small hole to complete the course.  It was fascinating to watch.  I also enjoyed the good-natured teasing before each guy went through.  I especially related to one of the older guys, an acting battalion chief.  They told him they would make it easier for the old guy by laying out some smooth plywood, or maybe some mattresses, for him to crawl on.  He took it all in stride and made his way through.  Then one of the guys asked me if I was ready to give it a go.  I replied, “If that’s the way you make it easy for the old guy, I think I’ll wait until you can figure out how to make it easier for a senior citizen.”  Once again my admiration for what these guys go through to stay prepared for battling fires ramped up another three or four notches. 

Psalms 108:5 says, “Be exalted, O God, above the heavens, and let your glory be over all the earth.”

Father, keep those fire fighters safe, even in the intense training they have to do.  Amen.

 

No comments: