Friday, September 13, 2013

September 13 – “Fifth Anniversary”

I read a lot of posts yesterday about it being the fifth the anniversary of Hurricane Ike.  It struck me that the whole reason I started this blogging thing was at the request of some of the Seaside people.  We were trying to figure out a way to stay connected with all the evacuees in Louisiana and San Antonio and Austin and Mansfield and who knows how many other scattered places.  It seemed that everyone had access to the internet, though, so I tried to post something when I could about what I had been hearing from people.  It didn’t begin as a daily thing.  Who had time in the beginning to write something every day?  But then it became evident that one of the best things, for me anyway, was the chance to record my thoughts and perceptions of the chaos that was flying around me.  And there was so much to say that there ended up being plenty to record every day.  I did compile some of those early posts into book form to show what it was like day to day in the year following the storm.  Even included some of our storm photos.  I had great plans to get it published in time for the fifth anniversary.  Of course getting a book self-published these days is not exactly inexpensive.  Maybe I can reconsider at the next anniversary date.  Or maybe the tenth. 

I have also considered retiring from the whole blog scene altogether.  It would certainly give me more time in the mornings.  And in the grand scheme of things, who would miss it anyway?  I’m afraid I might miss it, though.  Besides, it gives my kids a peek into this strange head of mind.  I guess maybe it’s better to do it a little at a time than to have to try to remember everything all at once for one of those “You were there” memory books.  So, hats off to you, Hurricane Ike.  At the very least you provided Galveston with yet another life-changing, Island-history-altering, never-to-be-forgotten (here on the Island, anyway.  Can’t speak for the folks at FEMA) event.  You have actually made it easier for us feeble-minded old dudes.  Now all we have to remember is “BTS” (Before The Storm) and “ATS” (After The Storm).

Psalms 111:4 says, “He has caused his wonders to be remembered; the Lord is gracious and compassionate.”

Father, I guess it is more than appropriate to remember your grace and compassion in the wake of a disaster.  We sure saw and experienced it through the help and sacrifice of so many after the storm.  Amen.

No comments: