Sunday, September 29, 2013

September 29 – “A New Blogger”

I asked Cailyn if there was anything she wanted to say in my blog.  About that time the box she was carrying slipped out of her hands and the contents spilled out onto the floor.  She cried out, “Write that in my blog.”  In the box were some old leftover checks that Aunt Christina had given her.  She gathered them all up, returned them to the box and continued on her task.  She told me she was writing checks to the bank to pay all her bills.  She even asked if I would let her Mom and Dad know that the bills were paid.  So there you go, Nathan and April.  All taken  care of for the month.  At one point she folded one in half and carefully tore it.  I asked what she was doing, and she replied, “I’m cutting a check.  It means I’m tearing it now.”  Ah.  I always wondered what that meant.  After the last check was written, she carefully stashed them into her checkbook and announced, “This is where I put my savings.”  That’s a wise girl.  Gotta keep up with the savings no matter what.  Checks put away, she turned to the old WalMart gift card in the box.  As she colored in the pictures of a gas tank and a shopping cart on the front, she said, “Now I’m getting the WalMart card ready.  I can go buy a ferret or an otter from Moody in the Gardens.”  Well, OK then.  Get ready for some more animals at the Cailyn Vaughan house.  Didn’t take her long to get into the whole blog-writing thing. 

Chris has some hummingbird feeders up in the back yard.  We both enjoy watching the many different kinds of birds that fly through Galveston on their way to Mexico or Central America for the winter.  We used to see literally hundreds of different kinds when we had all the trees around the house.  Gave them a great place to roost and rest up.  And then Ike destroyed all the trees, so it has taken a while for them to find us again.  Anyway, she was in the back yard changing out the sugar water in the feeders when a few hummingbirds detected an enemy presence in what they had staked out as their territory.  Swooping down at her head, they dive-bombed her like a couple of mosquitoes on a mission.  I’m sure if they had been mockingbirds they would have been screaming at her at the same time.  Now, don’t worry.  She survived the attack.  And she got that feeder back up in a hurry.

Psalms 113:4 says, “The Lord is exalted over all the nations, his glory above the heavens.”

Father, thank you for the wonders of your creation, whether it be hummingbirds or beautiful little girls.  Amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is too cute...they learn young these days.