Tuesday, September 10, 2013

September 10 – “Solving some crises”


I went with Nathan and April the other day to the AT&T store so they could get some new phones.  They have been having a lot of trouble connecting with people on their old Androids, so they were moving into the future with iPhones for each of them.  It was loads of fun for the old guy here to be the one teaching the youngster how to use the new-fangled technology.  Of course they have had them for a day now, so they already know more about how to use it than I know about my old antique 3G thing.  I guess if this one ever wears out we’ll be entering the new world of 5G or 6G or whatever it will be called by then. 

Here’s an update on how Mom has been doing.  She took another tumble the other day.  For some reason she made her way noiselessly into the laundry room.  I guess she wanted to visit the dogs or something.  She must have lost her balance somehow.  We heard a loud crash followed by indecipherable clanging that continued for several long seconds.  Of course we both jumped into action to see what had happened.  She was sitting in the floor with a box of Chris spare fabric on her lap and various craft implements spinning haphazardly on the floor around her.  Fritz and Heidi were standing guard cautiously, but both seemed hesitant to get too close.  Mom was groaning a bit this time, and clutching her hand.  Sure enough, there was a scratch on one finger that was bleeding, and blood always cries out for attention.  The bigger worry, however, turned out to be what we fear may be another cracked rib.  She kept her arm in a protective position against her waist.  We managed to get her to her feet and over to the couch again, and Chris got her cleaned up and bandaged up.  We are watching her progress carefully, following the same protocol from last time she cracked one. 

More recently, she has had some nosebleeds.  Three yesterday.  That has happened before, too.  This time though, the first one came while Chris was at the library with Cailyn.  I was working at my desk and she was sitting on the couch.  The air conditioner kicked, so it took me a while before I noticed a sound that just didn’t fit with the AC noise, the refrigerator ice maker noise or the ice maker noise.  It was something kind of eerily soothing, like a swiftly moving brook, or when Christina is rocking Noa to sleep and does her shushing sound.  Something just wasn’t adding up, so I got up to investigate.  As I rounded the corner into the kitchen, Mom was standing hunched over the sink, which was running full blast – there was the unusual sound.  I gently approached her and saw that she had the sprayer in one hand and with the other she was cupping water back and forth to her face.  It seemed an unusual way to get a drink of water, but then, I have done it that way myself.  That’s about the time I saw the first large glop of blood spatter into the sink.  Already a bit skittish since her fall the other day, I quickly readjusted my position so I could see better.  And sure enough, there it was, blood was gushing from her nostril, and she was trying frantically to wash it away.  And she was losing the battle.  I grabbed a paper towel and hastened into action.  I pinched her nose with one hand and got the water turned off with the other.  One sleeve of her blouse was pretty well drenched, and spatterings of blood covered the front.  I convinced her to hold the compress so I could get her a chair to sit in.  It was becoming more and more obvious that she wouldn’t be able to stand up much longer.  After what seemed to me to be hours, though I’m sure it was just minutes, of blood spurting and her trying to push my hand away “so I can check it,” we finally got the bleeding stopped.  That was a scary one for me. 

She had two more later in the evening, but Chris was home, and she saw it before I did on both occasions and got it under control quickly.  Oh, and by the way, Chris has been battling a cold herself.  She could sure use some prayer.  I sure am thankful for that wife God gave me. 

 

Psalms 111:1 says, “Praise the Lord.  I will extol the Lord with all my heart in the council of the upright and in the assembly.”

 

Father, again, please walk with Mom closely each day.  Amen.

No comments: